Notices
Minivan, SUV, & Truck RDX, Ridgeline, Element, Pilot, MDX, CRV, Passport, Odyssey, and SLX.

Sick of gas prices!

Old 04-30-2008, 11:46 AM
techx63

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sick of gas prices!

I've been trying to think of a way to beat OPEC in my daily travels. I drive around 45k a year and I'm tired of giving my hard earned money to them. I was reading this forum the other day and saw where my CRV could be ran without the rear driveshaft hooked up. Would it be possible to hook up an electric motor to the driveshaft with rechargable batteries and would it be strong enough to pull the vehicle. At the end of the day or when the batteries ran out, I could run on the ole 2.0. I know I am oversimplifying this, but do you folks think it would be possible?
Old 04-30-2008, 02:08 PM
TheOtherDave™
Apathy Kills

In short, no. Not in a cost-effective manner anyway.

You could easily wind up spending $5000 trying to turn your CR-V into a quasi hybrid. Without the proper gearing, motor controllers and deep cycle batteries, you'd be lucky to get 10 miles on a charge assuming you actually want to have usable cargo space left over.

Also, realize that for every pound of batteries, that's one less pound availble for people and their cargo. You could very well exceed the Gross Vehicle Rolling Weight even before a single passenger is on board.

If the mileage on your CRV is killing you, the best bet is to get out of the SUV market before blue book prices fall any further. The second-hand market is flooding with SUVs and new ones are lingering on the lots.

If you've got $5K to spend on a science project like the one you're proposing, it'll be better spent as a down payment on a new Civic EX-L. That car will do mid 30s in the city and about 40 mpg hwy assuming you aren't thrashing it within an inch of it's life.

:: HAN Integra FAQ: If, by some miracle, yours hasn't been stolen... check it out!

Last edited by TheOtherDave™; 04-30-2008 at 02:12 PM.
Old 05-07-2008, 05:31 PM
techx63

Default One can dream...

Being as I have a 97 CRV with 228,000 miles. I don't think the blue book value can fall any farther. It gets respectable mileage for an SUV 23C/26H, hence the reason it was purchased. Check out calcars.org. They are working for plug in hybrids with the Priuth. I figured maybe someone out there was trying it with a Honda. Plus I needed to vent.