Notices
Minivan, SUV, & Truck RDX, Ridgeline, Element, Pilot, MDX, CRV, Passport, Odyssey, and SLX.

03 Odyeesy transmission problem

Old 02-03-2008, 05:08 AM
Phani

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03 Odyeesy transmission problem

I bought a used 03 Odyssey with 60K miles.
I am seeing a wierd (probably) shift from 4th to 5th gear. The drop in RPM when shifting from 4th to 5th is not smooth. It drops just a tiny bit (say 2500 to 2200) initially and then after 1 - 1.5 sec the RPM eases to (say) 1500 and stays there. This behavior is consistent and only from 4th to 5th, while for all the other shifts, the drop is one-shot and immediate.
My question is, is it normal or should I show it to Honda dealer?
Also, the shifts are not smooth and I get a slight 'shock' which I do not feel in my Civic. I am not sure if this is of concern or not.
I checked the 'Owners Link' on Honda website for this vehicle and it said that the recall on this vehicle was 'Fixed'. When I talkd to the dealer, he told that 2003s never had any recalls - I knew he was wrong. I gave him the VIN number and he checked and said the recall was for 2nd gear and it was fixed by installing a oil pump.
The transmission oil looks clear to me and I cannot smell it 'burnt'.

Has anyone encountered such a problem - rather, is it a problem at the first place.

Thanks in advance !!!
Old 02-03-2008, 05:40 PM
Fuse

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is your d4 light flashing, is your cel on? If it is you have a code for the transmission. Honda will usually help with a transmission replacement us the numbers in the back of your owners manual, but you first have to take your van in to dealer and have it checked out.

Do some research on stall testing the transmission this can tell you if you have a slipping clutch pack. You may also consider draining the fluid threw a paint strainer and seeing if you get any debre out of the fluid.

As for the shock take a look at your engine mounts.
Old 02-04-2008, 06:49 AM
TL-Super

I'd check with Acura America directly again with your VIN. I'm almost certain some 03's were covered under the super duper extended warranty. Friends with, I believe, an 03 Odyssey had theirs covered. Worst case beg Acura under "goodwill" as it would cost about $4000 to replace through Acura.
Old 02-04-2008, 03:36 PM
Phani

Originally Posted by Fuse
Is your d4 light flashing, is your cel on? If it is you have a code for the transmission. Honda will usually help with a transmission replacement us the numbers in the back of your owners manual, but you first have to take your van in to dealer and have it checked out.

Do some research on stall testing the transmission this can tell you if you have a slipping clutch pack. You may also consider draining the fluid threw a paint strainer and seeing if you get any debre out of the fluid.

As for the shock take a look at your engine mounts.

I took the van to the dealer to get a diagnosis done on the transmission and it came out clean. The dealer 'hooked up' to a computer to check teh 'codes' and they said nowthing showed up, also, they said that they could not reproduce the problem even after driving for 10 miles. They also said the fluid level is good and is clean. They also did a 'physical check on' the transmission but could not find anything wrong.

Would anyone suggest that I change fluid or anything else??

Thanks
Old 06-11-2008, 02:37 PM
BONE

Originally Posted by Phani
I took the van to the dealer to get a diagnosis done on the transmission and it came out clean. The dealer 'hooked up' to a computer to check teh 'codes' and they said nowthing showed up, also, they said that they could not reproduce the problem even after driving for 10 miles. They also said the fluid level is good and is clean. They also did a 'physical check on' the transmission but could not find anything wrong.

Would anyone suggest that I change fluid or anything else??

Thanks
You might want to check out www.odyclub.com for better responses to your questions.