Notices
Minivan, SUV, & Truck RDX, Ridgeline, Element, Pilot, MDX, CRV, Passport, Odyssey, and SLX.

Odyssey rear brake pads - shims?

Old 12-03-2005, 05:55 AM
LouNC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Odyssey rear brake pads - shims?

Hi Folks,
I've been working on my own brakes for 30 years, just new to Honda so please bear with the questions.

I just received a set of rear brake pads and intend to install them this weekend. I will certainly pay attention to what I remove from the car, but want to be as prepared as possible. There are two sets of shims in the pad set - silver (aluminum or SS) and black (steel?). They appear to want to be "clipped" together for installation.

A few questions:
1) Should all the shims be used? (I assume yes).
2) What order should they be installed in? (May be obvious upon removal of old but haven't done that yet).
2) I'm familiar with greasing the back of the pads, but should I also apply grease between the layers of shims and between the shim(s) and the caliper too?
3) Any other special hints re: Honda brakes? (Front or rear - I also have to replace fronts within the next 5K miles).

FYI, this car has 58K miles, we are original owners and I'm a little surprised that the rears have worn quicker than the front pads. All wear appears even and braking is normal. Is this common for this vehicle? I've usually done two front brake jobs for every rear brake job on cars/trucks that I've owned for the past 15 years or so.

Thanks,
Lou
Old 12-03-2005, 12:01 PM
honda guy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The silver shims go on top of the black ones. I usually just put the grease on top of the last shim. (shims and calipers)
Old 12-13-2005, 12:56 PM
waterbug

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Lou,

Only reason I can figure that the rear pads are wearing faster is that possibly the parking brake is on, or the pads are dragging...
Old 12-13-2005, 01:35 PM
honda guy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Depends. If its a newer oddy. ther rears have seperate shoes for the parking brake and do not use the pads for that action.