Notices
Minivan, SUV, & Truck RDX, Ridgeline, Element, Pilot, MDX, CRV, Passport, Odyssey, and SLX.

Front spring failure on 2001 MDX

Old 02-15-2005, 08:12 PM
GenXer
Registered Honda user

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I couldn't tell if you contacted Honda directly but you need to. Forget the dealer, they're nobody. Call and complain directly. Honda is usually pretty good (at least they used to be) about listening to complaints.

There has to be a material defect. I bet they were cracked when you drove it off the lot new. Probably a supplier cheaped out somewhere. An SUV not even taken off-road and they break? Hmm.

AcuraFanatic, how many have you seen? 2 or 3, 10? Heck, just the fact that you've seen more than 1 of them makes for pretty damning evidence. IMHO a recall is probably likely due to the potential for litigation.
Old 02-16-2005, 02:13 PM
sherwood
I missed Sean

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lol.. did you check with your teenager that it was never taken off road?
Old 02-20-2005, 10:06 PM
prelude97

what were the symtoms as a result of broken springs? maybe the dealer wanted to make a few $$ off you and said they were bad, then cut them somehow.

I can understand possibly 1 of the springs going bad and as preventitive maint, replace both. something doesn't sound right. Not easy to cut a spring, hacksaw / bandsaw half way, then bend.

goto www.bbb.com and see what other complaints this dealer has.
Old 02-21-2005, 03:26 AM
AcuraFanatic

I highly doubt Acura is cutting the springs.

They all look slammed in the front when they break.
Old 02-21-2005, 07:16 PM
GenXer
Registered Honda user

The dealer would have to be an idiot to cut the springs. GordonD would end up owning the dealership if that was the case.
Old 02-22-2005, 04:39 AM
GordonD
GordonD

Sorry for disappearing for the last few days.

I don't for a second suspect any sabotage just poor materials. I've been talking to some guys at a metalurgy lab and am bringing the springs to them next week for a look see. I will let you know what they say.

Now that we have the new springs/shocks installed you can see a difference in the ride height but both side had broken in the same place - around the 2nd turn - and I think the new end just jammed into the coil above and stayed fairly stable - hate to think what would have happened in an accident avoidance situation if one had jumped out of its 'seat'
Old 02-28-2005, 07:38 PM
hondatech
Honda tech/eprom hackr

I've worked for Honda for the last 7 years as a technician on both the Acura and Honda side and I've never seen a spring break let alone two at the same time. I think if you spent half as much time on the phone with the 800 number instead of going to a
metalurgy lab you would have got the repair covered for free.
Old 03-01-2005, 05:13 PM
01usjdmr

Originally Posted by hondatech
I've worked for Honda for the last 7 years as a technician on both the Acura and Honda side and I've never seen a spring break let alone two at the same time. I think if you spent half as much time on the phone with the 800 number instead of going to a
LOL ,true.... I've seen springs break after morons heat them up to lower their cars.
Old 03-18-2005, 04:21 AM
GordonD
GordonD

Originally Posted by hondatech
Trust me I have been hounding Honda but their attitude is that it's my problem because of the vehicle's gone 122,000kms.

I know have an open file at Transport Canada about the spring failures - would anyone who has had a failure contact them 1-800-333-0510 and ask for a defect investigator.

They are in close contact with the US safety agency so hopefully they will act together.

If people start reporting this problem hopefully a recall will be started and the problem will get solved and those of us who are out of pocket will get reimbursed.
Old 03-30-2005, 09:09 AM
GordonD
GordonD

Well I got a reply from Acura last night on my problem and they have asked me let them look at the springs.

Obviously not an admission of guilt - YET - but an encouraging step in the journey.