Thread: 2001 acura MDX - Premium vs Regular GAS

2001 acura MDX - Premium vs Regular GAS

has anyone tried regular gas on there mdx and if so what are the pros and cons, if any

Going to regular gas will reduce power output under high engine stress applications (rapid acceleration, up hill, etc.)

Octane in your fuel raises the temperature at which the fuel detonates, or explodes. When the explosion occurs, it is before top-dead-center (TDC) and is called knocking or pinging. In ideal combustion, the fuel air mixture burns at a controlled (all be it VERY fast) rate with a subsonic flame front when ignited by the spark plug on or about top dead center (depending on the design of the engine). In detonation, the high compression of the engine causes the fuel-air mixture to explode with a supersonic wave front well before TDC, driving the piston in the wrong direction.

If you recall way back to high school or college chemistry, as you pressurize a gas, or in this case a fuel air mixture, the temperature rises proprtionally to the pressure (anyone remember p1v1/t1=p2v2/t2 ?). In a high compression engine, you need the higher detonation temperature of higher octane fuel.

The MDX, as with all modern high compression Honda engines, has a knock sensor to determine if detonation is taking place. If the sensor detects this condition, it reduces the amount of fuel / air mixture delivered to the cylinder. Knock is very bad for the engine, and will shorten the life of the engine.

Every Acura on our lot runs 87 octane and I've never noticed any problems.
    Sales Consultant
    Acura

Quote Originally Posted by NorCalAcura
    If you re-read my post, I talk about how it will happen when you are really stressing the engine.

I would hoope you haven't seen any problems. You'd be running the car at the high end of the engine output - not a nice thing to do to a car you're trying to sell, especially since it's not broken in yet.

I've detected the occurance on my 2000 TL when my wife put 87 octane in the tank and I was accelerating (had it floored) going up a steep hill on I-71.

As I've said... never experienced it. New and pre-owned Acuras including NSX.

Like I'm not going to drive a used NSX hard to make sure it's working 'right.' It's a tough job sometimes.
    Sales Consultant
    Acura

If you are worried about gas prices, put 87, then an octane booster...might be cheaper...

also, i've always wondered the reason why Acura says premium fuel and Honda says regular unleaded...aren't they basically the same engine?

If you read the fine print on octane boosters you'll see that, when added to a 10-12 gallon gas tank, your octaine goes up perhaps 1 overall. At this rate you'd spend more on octane booster than you would just putting in the higher octane gas to begin with.
    Sales Consultant
    Acura

That's because you guys never keep each Acura for long.....

We've had too many CLs on our lot for about a year and a TSX 6MT since November. So, you're not entirely correct.
    Sales Consultant
    Acura

And how many miles go on these cars while they are on your lot? I'm pretty sure it's no where near what the average or evan a fraction of what a average person drives. You won't feel the long term affect of putting 87 octane from cars on a sale, which are what, driven like 10 miles on a test drive compare to one used for a daily driving.

...well let's see now... the managers get the use of a company car (an Acura) and the most recent one was a 2003 TL-S Navi and that car has 9,000 miles on it and has been on numerous test drives and has always used 87 octane gas and I've never noticed any problems...
    Sales Consultant
    Acura

Beating....head....against....wall.

For the extra $.20/gallon * 18 gallons, or $3.60, it's worth the money. I know that I got 10%-15% better mileage out of my TL with premium gas.

...well let's see now... the managers get the use of a company car (an Acura) and the most recent one was a 2003 TL-S Navi and that car has 9,000 miles on it and has been on numerous test drives and has always used 87 octane gas and I've never noticed any problems...
    Like you said, you used it for TEST DRIVES. You probably never felt the performance potential of the engine on the 87 unlead. Just walk into your local service area and talk to one of your mechanicals about running 87 octane on a high compression vtec engine.

Acura 3.2CL Type S
    jeezus. talk about dirty used car salesman types. glad to know my dealer doesn't use ghetto gas and use weak observations to justify it.

just as mickey said, high compression vtec engines require premium fuel... knocks mess up your engine. just feel the sentiment in this thread, no one's buiyng your BS

2001 Acura 3.2CL Type S
    Comptech Icebox Intake
    Comptech Transmission Cooler
    Comptech Axleback Exhaust
    H&R Sport Springs
    35% tint
    other minor cosmetic mods
    soon to install: alphawerks headers

it ain't bs just what i have observed. and i am not 'dirty' nor anything else, however i would say you are an ill-mannered sheep ****er considering your slander.
    Sales Consultant
    Acura

Honda tech/eprom hackr hondatech's Avatar
    Wow, the fight fights on in here, ha ha
    You can use the regular gas and it will work. The engine will always RETARD the engine if it detonates not reduce the air/fuel mixture into the intake. It's not a Acura says to use prem. and Honda says to use Reg. gas. My 00 SI uses Prem. I believe that the Ody. also likes Prem. (if I'm wrong correct me). Acura's usually take Prem. because they are higher preformance. But it's not cut and dry.

For some people, being an asshole is cut and dry.

One day I hope to be as smart, honest, and kind as rezurex is. I still have a long way to go, however.
    Sales Consultant
    Acura

Hey everyone is an a hole once in a while, so what if that guy said you're dirty or whatever. He's probably working at jiffy lube for min. wage wishing he could convince a Honda or acura store to hire him.

Thanks. I'm good enough, smart enough, and gosh darn it... people LIKE me.
    Sales Consultant
    Acura

LOL!, dude go sell some cars

We have a 2001 Odyssey, and I noticed a big difference in acceleration between having 87 and 91 octane in...91 was definitly better!....

The octane recommended depends on the compression your engine is running. Read your owners manual! That will solve it.

Honda-Acura
    Honda S2000

Honda-Acura