Notices

ac compressor question?

Old 05-31-2007, 01:58 PM
RUM151

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ac compressor question?

does anyone know how to jump power to the ac compressor with wires , to see if it engages?
Old 07-04-2007, 08:52 AM
Lawrence Coppar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From the date of your post, you probably have already acted on this. While I do not have a RL, I have done AC work on a number of other cars and they all seem to be quite similar. So take this for what it is worth.

The clutch on the front of the compressor is an electromagnet. You only need to energize it. The thing will have a plug on it or somewhere near it. You can run 12v directly to it. Polarity can be determined by checking to see which of the two poles is ground. That can easily be done with an ohm meter.

Again, I don't work on Acura cars but I have worked on a number of European brands that I own to include Mercedes, Porsche, and Ferrari. All their AC systems are similar. I suspect Acura is the same.

If you are low on refrigerant, the clutch won't engage due to a pressure switch that prevents it. You will destroy your compressor if you bypass the pressure switch. You could momentarily jump the pressure switch to see if compressor clutch engages. Best to do this with engine off but with ignition on assuming you can find the switch. On my cars it's on or very near the receiver/dryer.

BTW, the resistance across the poles on the clutch should be about 3-5 ohms, implying it'll draw from 2.4 to 4.0 amps. As the clutches age, the shellac insulation on the winding disapperars and the things shunt which shortens the length of winding and causes lower resistance. This, in tern, causes more current flow and more heat and more deterioration of the insulation.

Last edited by Lawrence Coppar; 07-04-2007 at 08:56 AM.