Notices

1.6 EL chugging

Old 04-23-2005, 02:32 PM
smizera

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1.6 EL chugging

Hello all
I have a 1999 Acura 1.6 EL Premium. Current odometer reading is 128000km. I haven't had any major problems since I bought the car, but today something weird happened. I started the car and it felt sluggish in first gear. It took a few seconds before accelerating as it normally does. Then, the same thing happens when I engage in second speed. The problem disappeared when I went into 3rd, but there's a squeaking sound coming from the engine. Anyways, the "Check Engine" light came on .
I drove back home, waited a few minutes and started the car again. The light did not go on this time, and I tried driving again. This time, the problem did not seem to occur.
Anyways, I was just wondering if anyone has experienced this with their Acura 1.6 EL or their Honda Civic. Is it time for my timing belt to be replaced? Should it be OK to drive a few miles to the nearest dealership or should I get it towed to avoid any possible damage to the engine?

Your input is greatly appreciated. I'm new to these forums and would like to thank you all in advance for your help.
Old 04-24-2005, 02:52 AM
AcuraFanatic

Hard to tell without a code. Sounds like a sensor might be failing and is causing the car to starve of fuel or air.

I'd bring it into your Acura dealership and get it looked at.
Old 04-24-2005, 12:44 PM
smizera

Thanks AcuraFanatic
Actually, my fiancee seems to have found the problem. When we started the car this morning, there was a strange smell coming from the engine, and the car was sputtering when I was pressing on the gas. I popped the hood and found that there was a clicking sound. She noticed that one of the connectors for the spark plugs was not connected properly and some sparks were coming out. After reconnecting the rubber plug properly, the car started to run smoothly again. Still, I'll bring the car in to the dealership soon for a tuneup and make sure everything else is OK.