Notices

Weird noise in my 96 RL

Old 12-05-2004, 05:12 PM
Klutch1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird noise in my 96 RL

About every 15 minutes or so I hear a noise that seems to be coming from the passenger side of my RL. It sounds like something electric adjusting or moving. There doesn't seem to be much ryhme or reason but it always does it when the car hasn't been driven in a while and you first get in and turn the ignition on. After that it is about every 15 minutes or so. I've heard the seats in the RL are self adjusting for weight and that might explain it but am not sure if it is even true.

Any help or suggestions are appreciated.
Old 12-05-2004, 07:52 PM
Klutch1

I know there haven't been any replies yet but thought that I'd mention I just went outside and sat in the passenger side and noticed it seems to be coming from the passenger side in the dash.
Old 12-05-2004, 09:53 PM
dean.730

if the car has some sort of automatic climate control, then you're hearing your vents open and close. The system works a lot like a faucet. hot input and cold input... A computer controlled valve changes the air mixture to change temperatures. if the temp is set at 73 degrees, it might actually fluctuate between 71 and 75... when it gets to one extreme, it would change vent setting, which makes a motor turn on and make a funny sound through the vents. I dont have any automatic climate control, but I can manually change my tep setting from hot to cold and hear the motor go off. Try the same in your car on a manual setting if you have one.
Old 12-24-2004, 11:04 PM
ACURAmechanic

The noise is possibly the anti-lock brake pump running. The pump is in the engine compartment on the passenger side near the firewall. When the ALB system looses pressure the pump will automaticaly come on to restore pressure. The older the car gets the more often the pump will run because of internal leaks in the ALB modulator and accumulator.
Old 01-04-2005, 10:17 AM
lepfam5

Default ALB pump noise

This is my first time on this forum and I came across your answer to the weird noise question. I own a 96 RL and I [EMAIL=lepfam5@hotmail.com] have this problem. I left it alone for a year and now my ALB light is on all the time. Is their any inexpensive way of repairing the problem or can I drive without fixing it.

Thanks Al
Old 01-06-2005, 08:22 PM
ACURAmechanic

You can try replacing the ALB accumulator. It will cost about $425 at the dealer, but usually the modulator is the coase of a 'pump over run' problem. The modulator will cost $1500(?). Not repairing the ALB system will not have an effect on the normal hydraulic system. You just wont have 'anti-lock brakes' while the ALB light is on.
Old 04-01-2005, 11:25 PM
mikey16556

most likely its ur abs seal. if u want a cheap fix just unplug the fuse and the brakes will work fine, you just wont have abs. the seals are really cheap its just the labor that will kill you unless u can do it yourself.
Old 05-08-2008, 04:08 PM
mfraner

If you open your Hood I think you will find it is coming from the ABS Unit on the passenger side of the firewall. The motor on it runs whenever you turn on the key & then kind of randomly thereafter.