Notices

need some tech help >>

Old 07-23-2003, 11:00 AM
Jason95GSR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need some tech help >>

Did a tune-up yesterday (cap, rotor, and new plugs). When I started the car it ran for about 20 seconds then all of a sudden just shut off. I can crank it over, but it just won’t fire up. Here is a list of everything checked:

There is fuel going to the engine.

1. Pulled distributor and had it tested. Bad igniter, weak coil. Had both replaced and tested strong.
2. Checked all fuses, all are good.
3. Fuel system checked out good.

Now, am I missing something? Put the new distributor on this morning, hooked everything back up, turned the key and still have the same results. I am somewhat puzzled now.

I just bought this car a week ago after my 1995 SE was totaled. So I am familiar with Acura’s. Is there anything else anyone can suggest that I check? Thanks for any advice.

Also…does anyone know the significance of the plastic cover between the dist housing and the cap?

Broke down at work….

TIA
Jason
Old 07-23-2003, 11:28 AM
teg_fan
I like integra's

may sound dumb, but are you sure the plugs are all the way on at both ends?
Old 07-23-2003, 11:38 AM
Jason95GSR

yes, they are down all the way.
Old 07-23-2003, 12:21 PM
Taiwanze7

you connect the wires in the right firing order?
Old 07-23-2003, 12:51 PM
Jason95GSR

Yep,

Starting on the bottom left, going clockwise they are 1342.

I had the ignitor and the coil replaced last night and everthing checked out fine after replacement. Did the install this morning and tried to fire it up...it acted like it wanted to for a split second(about half a turn) and then went right back to how it was. Just turning over with no spark what-so-ever. The thing that gets me is that I've been driving it for a week now and this didn't happen until I/we changed the cap, rotor and plugs. It even started right up after that but after a minute or so of just idleing it died and will not start no matter what I do. I've pulled fuses to try to reset the ECU to no avail. The only thing I can think of now, is a short somewhere. Any ideas where to start on that???

The guy that owned it before me has some sorry ass alarm in it that was obviously not installed by a professional and I need to remove it completely. I also pulled out the P.O.S. stereo he had in it and see if there may be a problem with that wiring. But like I said before, everything was fine until I changed the cap, rotor , and plugs which tells me it's not the alarm or stereo connections.
Old 07-23-2003, 01:16 PM
VPUPPY

when you installed the distributor did you retime the engine?
Old 07-23-2003, 07:11 PM
Jason95GSR

I thought of that too, but was told that it shouldn't matter at this point. Even if it was out of time, it should still fire. I'm not even getting spark to the plug. We did check to see if the cams turned via the oil fill-hole, and they do,ruling out a broken timing belt.

After further investigation into the shoddy alarm install, I think it may be a kill switch issue. Because I do not know of all of the features of this particular alarm, I may have "locked myself out." I got to thinking about it running for a few seconds and then it just dying as I stated before. Ever see "COPS" when they set-up car thieves??? They get about 300 yards, the car dies and the doors lock. Exactly what happened to me after the first start-up after the tune-up...minus the locks. I could be reaching here but what the heck. We've tried every thing else we can think of.

I appreciate the idea though. :thumbup: