Notices

vacuum leak ?

Old 07-21-2003, 08:49 AM
anatolia

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default vacuum leak ?

anyone have a guess as to why my car would now run with 15'' of mercury for vacuum at idle when i used to get 21'' ? if i told you i just replaced my intake man and TB you would have to suspect a leak , but wouldnt a leak that size cause the engine to race at idle - it would be getting air just the same as if it were let in by the throttle. vacuum lines are all ok. BTW i changed from stock '97 gsr to skunk2 and jg 65mm TB. any thoughts as to the now removed second set of runners in the stock man - this one is not only bigger , but just a straight shot to the ports. seems like maybe the increase in volume could cause a lower reading - plus the TB is bigger so the air could be a little lazy at low rpm. it moves up very quickly when the throttle is opened.
Old 07-21-2003, 02:59 PM
90'RS

If you made sure all the mating surfaces where clean and free of debri before you put them on I would first check the gasket seals to make sure they are good. To do this you can spray water, a mechanic used something else on my car but water should do the same trick, on the seals and check for any bubbles being formed. This will let you know if it's leaking from the seals.
Old 07-21-2003, 08:55 PM
anatolia

thanks for the reply....do you mean the rubber grommets on the injectors the seals you speak of ?
Old 07-26-2003, 10:50 AM
anatolia

i found one leak in the fuel recuirc canister which aint worth shit so i pulled it out - not much of an improvement , but when i found the map sensor was bad that made everything work. vacuum at 22'' and ignition timing right at 14 degrees......i still have some problem that causes the car to go so lean it barely runs at anything over 3000 rpm.....still searching for an answer there.