Notices

LS/ v-tec help

Old 07-20-2003, 07:29 AM
AcIntgr99
Slowly learning alot!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS/ v-tec help

Ok im thinkin of makin my 99 Ls Teg to V-tec. Really not sure what actually has to be done and what i need. If some1 could help with a list of parts i need that would work best please feel free to post them so i can get to searching for everything. Also if u know a good any good places to get everything that would be great too! thank you
Old 07-20-2003, 08:13 AM
dubcac
I

Search, it's been asked a lot.
Old 07-20-2003, 04:06 PM
AcIntgr99
Slowly learning alot!

Ok i have searched other posts and nothing im really wanting to know. Like i want to know what the best head would be(model,year ect.) and what else i should build up as far as internals to make this a reliable build up. Als will i need a different ECU or other parts like intake manifold or whatever else. My Teg is my daily driver and i want it to last! So any help would be nice.
Old 07-20-2003, 04:10 PM
Snoopy
been there done that

some say the best head for lsvtec is a gsr head. but its expensive and harder to find than the other vtec heads. a b16 head with a p&p can flow just as well as a gsr head and its cheaper. dont even bother with a type r head. you should get a complete head with i/m and everything else and you can use any vtec ecu.
Old 07-20-2003, 04:15 PM
dubcac
I

You will need: B16A or B18C VTEC head, along with the TB, Intake manifold, ECU, Distributor to match.

If you want a reliable build, get some forged rods, or at least shotpeen your stock rods and use ARP rod bolts...they can handle 8k rpm.

You can use either a b16 head or a GSR head. The GSR heads are harder to come by, and more expensive. They will yield a slightly higher compression over the b16 head due to a smaller combustion chamber. Both heads flow very similarly to one another. The GSR head uses the dual runner intake manifold, whereas the b16 uses a single runner. If you get an older first gen b16 head, replace the valvesprings and retainers, cause they'll be old.

http://www.c-speedracing.com/howto/b20vtec/b20vtec.php

http://www.c-speedracing.com/howto/lsvtec/lsvtec.php

There are a couple good articles on LSVTEC builds. If you're gonna build this motor, you better be prepared to do it right. The stock LS bottom end cannot handle 8000 rpm.
Old 07-20-2003, 04:16 PM
dubcac
I

Originally posted by Snoopy
some say the best head for lsvtec is a gsr head. but its expensive and harder to find than the other vtec heads. a b16 head with a p&p can flow just as well as a gsr head and its cheaper. dont even bother with a type r head. you should get a complete head with i/m and everything else and you can use any vtec ecu.

Type R head = p&p b16 head with different internals

With a GSR head you must use a GSR ECU.
Old 07-20-2003, 04:19 PM
Snoopy
been there done that

yea yea i know. :doh:

dont forget about the b17. people always overlook it. but it is a rarity though.
Old 07-20-2003, 04:20 PM
Kai
Rotorphile.

Actually, there is some dispute between the PR3 (B16A) and the P72 (B18C1) heads. The P72 has smaller combustion chambers for higher compression, but the PR3 has higher overall flow ratings. The P72 head's flow is optimized for medium range revs while the PR3 is optimized for high revs. I remember seeing the flow graphs a while back.

I would advise sticking with the PR3 heads because they are compatible with B18C-R intake manifolds.

EDIT: The B17A uses a PR3 (standard B16A) head.
Old 07-20-2003, 04:26 PM
AcIntgr99
Slowly learning alot!

once again the regulars come to the rescue! so what am i looking at as far as ball park price to do all this and have it done right? also i forgot to mention the tranny... AUTO... is that gona effect anything and is this even worth doing or should i go a different route!
Old 07-20-2003, 04:35 PM
dubcac
I

Originally posted by Kai
Actually, there is some dispute between the PR3 (B16A) and the P72 (B18C1) heads. The P72 has smaller combustion chambers for higher compression, but the PR3 has higher overall flow ratings. The P72 head's flow is optimized for medium range revs while the PR3 is optimized for high revs. I remember seeing the flow graphs a while back.

I would advise sticking with the PR3 heads because they are compatible with B18C-R intake manifolds.

EDIT: The B17A uses a PR3 (standard B16A) head.

I have seen the flowchart as well, and the GSR head flows more air than a b16 at higher valve lift.

Since you have an auto tranny, the first thing I would do is get a manual swap. Then decide what way you want to go from there....NA or FI. It's not worth it to build the motor with an auto.