Notices

Two problems - Clutch?

Old 07-16-2003, 11:19 AM
gsr_95_JRSC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Two problems - Clutch?

All,

I have a '95 GSR with a jackson racing blower. Supercharger installed with 50k, car has 82K. I replaced the stock clutch with a Centerforce dual friction clutch around 60k. I am having two problems:

1) Having trouble getting car into first gear on stand still. Replaced slave / master cylinder in last month which made it better but it's still there. Problem started after hydraulic fluid replaced, but Acura flushed it again for me recently with no effect.

2) Car seems to shake at crusing when I punch it. Shaking goes away if I hit the clutch and set it again. Seems like it might be the pilot bearing or PP. Definitely not tires out of balance.

With like 22K on the clutch, I'm really pissed to say that it might be time for a new clutch!? What do y'll think? If so, how come most kits don't come with a new pilot bearing? I'm reading that ACT HDSS is the way to go. Is that right with my power - 6psi, cold air intake, DC 4-2-1 header, SS Apexi N1 cat back?

Thanks...I really appreciate it.
Old 07-16-2003, 11:28 AM
Daniel

Were both the pilot and throwout bearings replaced? The first gear problem seems indicative of premature wear and possible abuse on the transmission. My old transmission had the same problem. I'd have to shift down to 2nd and up to 1st to get it to go in. When I replaced the transmission, no more problem.
Old 07-16-2003, 11:47 AM
g2tegls
MR, ftw

i don't know much about clutches but when mine went it was extremely difficult to get the shifter in 1st gear. 3rd was easier. After clutch replaced it was fine. I don't know why this happened. :dunno:
Old 07-16-2003, 11:52 AM
gsr_95_JRSC

A new transmission?!! I hope not...

Centerforce sent a TOB that didn't fit. I had the replaced at Acura, who wouldn't wait for Centerforce to replace it. So they put a factory TOB. I don't think they changed the pilot bearing.
Old 07-17-2003, 07:16 AM
DMA94ls

Im having similar problems with mine. Well when shifting its very rough, yet loose. I though it might be the clutch pedal neeing adjusting but i measured it and its fine. I think im needin a new clutch as well.
Old 07-17-2003, 07:29 AM
Amirked

does it help if you slide it down to second and then up to first? sometimes that happens to me . .(more often when the car is cold) but i read that shifting to second before shifting to first helps line something in the transmission up to make it shift smoother - seems like an easy fix to me
Old 07-17-2003, 12:21 PM
gsr_95_JRSC

Going into second is sometimes difficult too. I think it's my pressure place because it would explain the shifting problems and the shaking. The car seems to be slipping a little off the line too.

I will make an appointment to get it checked out. Will probably go ACT HDSS, unless the supercharger needs a stiffer clutch. I'd like for it to last 60-80 k though. Is that clutch strong enough?