Notices

Radiator fan Freaking out plz help!

Old 07-14-2003, 10:29 AM
JTegLS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radiator fan Freaking out plz help!

On my 90 Teg LS my radiator fan is not exactly acting normal it comes on after my car is off and never turns off, or it flips on and off constantly even if the cars been off for hours. I just dont want to come out of work and have the battery be dead again, any thoughts?
Old 07-14-2003, 11:22 AM
g2tegls
MR, ftw

If you have the tools to do electrical testing I would test the fan relay (on the frame in front of the battery) and the Fan Timing Control Unit (under the pass. side dash). I replaced both on my car but it turned out to be the Fan Timing Control Unit. If you are handy with a solder gun you can also just take out the Fan Timing Control Unit and resolder all the contacts. This is probably more economical because a new one costs $130. HTH
Old 07-14-2003, 01:03 PM
JTegLS

do u think that it would be possible to somehow wire up a switch? anybody?
Old 07-14-2003, 04:01 PM
MikeR

yea you can straight wire a switch but not recomended, for instance if you forget to turn it on one day and it overheats you could be in some ish, all you would have to do is pull a hot wire into a 2 position switch and run it to the feed wire on the fan, you would have to find the hot wire on the fans 1st before wiring it up, also would need to ground switch if not self grounding. and your sure it runs constantly when car has been off for a while? it will cycle on to make sure engine and or coolent cools down even after engine is off. but shouldn't be doing so hours after being shut off, good luck
Old 07-14-2003, 07:38 PM
JTegLS

its weird acura says that it should only come on after a long drive and only for like 15 mins or so. Do you think i could possibly run it to my fuse box to a 12 volt switch so it turns on and off with the car?
-
thanks
Old 07-15-2003, 05:37 PM
MikeR

it's possible, but will make it very hard to get up to operating temp during winter and cooler months
Old 07-16-2003, 07:04 AM
JTegLS

If anyone has had this problem before, How did u go about fixing it and or how much would it cost to have fixed?
Old 07-16-2003, 11:37 AM
g2tegls
MR, ftw

Originally posted by g2tegls
I replaced both on my car but it turned out to be the Fan Timing Control Unit... a new one costs $130. HTH