Notices

95' LS Recurring Cooling Issues

Old 08-05-2011, 12:15 PM
dbc925

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95' LS Recurring Cooling Issues

I have a 95' LS that's been having some cooling system problems, 140k miles on the car. So a while back the top of my radiator blew off. I replaced the radiator, replaced the thermostat + flushed and bled the system. A few months later, my high pressure hose to my heater core blew. I was thinking i didn't bleed the system right and there was some air pockets or something. Replaced the hose, flushed and bled the system again, and no bubbles at all this time. Now, I was driving home at night, a 2 hour trip, and all of a sudden my heater went cold like it did when I blew my high pressure hose, and my temp gauge started rising right as I get off the freeway. I had to pull off and turn off the car. Popped the hood and couldn't see where it was leaking from cuz it was dark out and I had no flashlight. Let it cool, drove about a mile before it got to half way, then stopped and let it cool again. I was then able to drive the next half mile to my house without a problem.

I was unable to check where the leak was the next day as I had to catch a flight outta town in the morning. I was gone for a week, moms said there was fluid leaking from it, but no evidence when I returned. I checked all the hoses in the front and there was nothing. A little bit of coolant around the coolant reservoir, but when squeezing the lower radiator hose there's still a decent amount of coolant in there that didn't leak out, so I would assume its not leaking from the coolant reservoir. I'm kinda tempted to fill the system with water since I'm just gonna have to flush/bleed it again anyways and see if I can find the leak after a short drive, but I'm extremely busy the next few days so that might have to wait.

I know the thermostat opens, and the cooling fan kicks on. I removed the A/C system from this car a while back, the A/C pump stopped working, and the entire A/C system was dry. The auxiliary belt snapped so I figured I'd just yank the whole system out. Other than that, car gets its fluid changes regularly and still runs like a champ. Any ideas on what I should be looking for?
Old 09-23-2011, 08:29 AM
Line7
Platinum Member

You gotta find that leak. If its a rubber coolant hose then you gotta replace it. One reason that your hoses keep bursting could be that you have a bad head gasket, which causes large amounts of pressure from the combustion chamber into the cooling system.
Old 09-25-2011, 12:12 PM
Spec R

like line7 said, sounds like head gasket related issue. does your exhaust smell like coolant?

i say pressure test your coolant system and if it doesnt hold 14.7 psi then you go from there.

you might also want to look at the timing belt side of the cooling system. water pump bolts are very lightly torqued and leaks can start from there too, but you cant see them because they're under the timing belt cover.