Notices

Is there a way to repair the rear defrost on the hatchback window?

Old 07-27-2011, 04:44 PM
VLT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is there a way to repair the rear defrost on the hatchback window?

I have a 94 Integra w/hatchback. Years ago, I had the windows tinted. In time, the tint became so bad that I couldn't see out of the rear window. I peeled the tint off and now the defrosters don't work. I must have peeled off the metal lines, but can't see where it is peeled though. Any way to fix this? thanks
Old 07-27-2011, 09:25 PM
Tobra

you can get a metal paint that will work for that

From my '98 shop manual. Voltmeter should read about 6v with positive lead in the middle of the wire, the negative to the negative pole. Less than 6 V look for damage on the positive half of grid, more check on negative side. Have to clean around break with fine steel wool, just to freshen up the contact area, clean with rubbing alcohol, mask it off with scotch tape, have to mix that metal paint, has actual silver in it, have to put it on fairly thick apparently, overlapping the area you cleaned, may take a few coats, you can check with voltmeter. If it is a long break, it is less likely to work.
Old 08-02-2011, 12:45 PM
VLT

Default Confused :(

Originally Posted by Tobra
you can get a metal paint that will work for that

Sorry, I'm a little confused. Okay, I need to get a voltmeter. Across each line on the vehicle, make sure the middle of the line reads 6V, right? I'm not sure what you mean by the positive half of grid and more check on neg side?? thx

From my '98 shop manual. Voltmeter should read about 6v with positive lead in the middle of the wire, the negative to the negative pole. Less than 6 V look for damage on the positive half of grid, more check on negative side. Have to clean around break with fine steel wool, just to freshen up the contact area, clean with rubbing alcohol, mask it off with scotch tape, have to mix that metal paint, has actual silver in it, have to put it on fairly thick apparently, overlapping the area you cleaned, may take a few coats, you can check with voltmeter. If it is a long break, it is less likely to work.
Old 08-04-2011, 12:42 PM
Tobra

The defroster is sort of painted on there. You clean the window and replace the missing part with silver paint