Notices

'98 GSR just died on me

Old 03-12-2011, 09:58 AM
Tobra

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '98 GSR just died on me

Don't have time or tools at the moment. Pulling into lot of store down street and it sort of stumbled and then quit. Hear fuel pump going, will turn over. Pulled wires off cap and one looked sort of corroded, other 3 shiney. Same plug wire that popped off about a month ago when I made an abrupt move to avoid a cell phone zombie. It ran rough on three, so I popped it back on and has been fine ever since, wonder if it is related.

I know I have a bad plug wire, but that won't kill it Have not looked at the plugs, checked for spark or anything. Have a guy I need to do surgery on in a few hours, so I can't do much right now. Will go home after that and get the code reader and tools. I am thinking maybe bad rotor and cap, maybe even coil, probably will tell you how to check the coil in the shop manual I guess. I totally had other stuff to do today, I mean besides cutting off that guys toe after lunch, hopefully anyway, will need to call and see if we got bumped or anything.

Car has about 170K miles, replaced rotor, cap and plug wires like 100K miles ago...
Old 03-12-2011, 12:40 PM
cruzalekz

u need to see if u got spark from the wires. if u do, then can be the plugs. i u got no spark on all wires, possible igniter problem (inside distributor)

if it cranks weak, maybe timing belt broke, if u got good compression and good spark, maybe ur fuel pump failed.

if car starts back up when it has cooled down, common problem is the main relay on these cars.

Last edited by cruzalekz; 03-12-2011 at 12:43 PM.
Old 03-12-2011, 02:13 PM
Tobra

It was not too hot when it died, cranks fine, can hear the fuel pump running, would not start after sitting for an hour, but still cranked fine.

Went and got my parking pass for the hospital and put the code reader on it while there, no codes. Seems like if it won't start, it would throw a code.

Little piggy has been sent to path lab, really would have rather worked on the Porsche today
Old 03-12-2011, 03:18 PM
Tobra

Yup, no fire, speaking of which, if I just set it on fire, I could go get something new. No can do though, 'cause none of the wheels have fallen off yet.

This is the sort of stuff I like to get from the stealership, so it looks it will sit until Monday, maybe I will go turn a wrench on the P car

On these they have an ignition coil and some sort of ignitor, figure to replace all that, including rotor, cap and wires, it is a bit oldish.

Should I just go ahead and replace the distributor? Does a distributor come with a new rotor and cap? Probably not, they probably a la carte your ass just like Ruth Chris Steakhouse.

Last edited by Tobra; 03-12-2011 at 04:13 PM.
Old 03-14-2011, 04:56 PM
Tobra

I swear that monkey at the stealership could not find his asshole with both hands and a funnel.

Almost all the stuff is there, except for the little screw that holds the rotor on, that comes with the rotor, but the bag the rotor is sliced open and has a little handwritten note that says, "does not come with screw." I mention that it looks like someone cut open the bag and took the screw, he says we would never do something like that. Now I could have just reused the screw and probably been okay, but this MFer pissed me off, standing there, lying to my face, then I am waiting for him to figure something out, looking at the diagram, "Where is the coil wire?"

The coil is inside the distributor, hence it does not need one, but I will be damned if I will tell the parts manager that.

He fumbles around a bit, says he is going to go check something, I say fck it, and leave, total of 15 minutes wasted inside, at least that driving to and fro. Came straight home, order the parts online and saved literally hundreds of dollars, even after paying for shipping.

I should have gone ahead and test drove that NSX.
Old 03-15-2011, 01:36 PM
TheOtherDave™
Apathy Kills

Oy... that parts-counter primate needs to find a new job. :eek4:

But yeah, the new distributor ought to set you right. At 170K, you were just about due. Being conservative, I'd also replace the plugs and plug wires... unless that's been done in the last 30K.

Speaking of mileage, how old's the timing belt? h:

:: HAN Integra FAQ: If, by some miracle, yours hasn't been stolen... check it out!
Old 03-15-2011, 05:25 PM
Tobra

Timing belt still looks good but is due soon, probably pay for that, the water pump and the rest of that stuff to be done.

The rotor and cap were pretty grungy. I did not buy a new distributor base as it looked to be fine and is pretty pricey, am I going to regret that? I got every thing else, have some plugs, got new wires, coil, igniter, rotor, cap with little rubber bit to seal it. I even got a fuel filter kit, because it has been too long since I changed that too. Glad I had another vehicle to use.
Old 03-16-2011, 05:57 AM
GSRRacer95
Fight On!

The same thing happened to me last summer. The ignitor crapped out. Ended up just replacing the whole distributor cause I noticed the shaft had a lot of play in it.
Old 03-16-2011, 09:44 AM
Tobra

Will check that and replace it if it looks at all questionable, seemed pretty solid when I was screwing around with the rotor though
Old 04-03-2011, 09:50 PM
Tobra

2 weeks later, finally got to it. coil, ignitor, cap wires, plugs. I think that stuff has been going bad for a while, car running great.