Notices

Slight coolant drip at back of engine?

Old 02-08-2011, 05:43 AM
TWX
Junior Assistant Trainee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slight coolant drip at back of engine?

'01 Integra LS Coupe, around 113k miles.

Other night we were leaving for errands after my wife got home from work, and as she backed the car out of the garage I saw a very, very small (quarter-sized) puddle of coolant. I was able to determine that it's coming from behind the engine, not in front.

So far I've had to do the radiator in her car twice. First time it got kind of hot, but the second time she noticed the spraying before it got above normal temperature.

I figure there are only a few possibilities- bad head gasket leaking out the side, cracked cylinder head, leaky freeze plug in either the head or the block, or bad heater hose.

I probably won't have time to dig into it until several days have passed, and so it's parked. Any thoughts on what's most likely and where I should start? I have a radiator pressure tester but I don't have the adapter needed for this car's radiator, so I'll have to see if I can track one down.
Old 02-08-2011, 08:31 AM
94civicEX
I got worms.

I'd track the hoses first and hope that's it. Are you able to get under the car?

duck squad member #00003
Old 02-08-2011, 11:27 AM
GSRRacer95
Fight On!

Check the back of the intake. I believe the model still has a sensor that coolant passes through.
Old 02-12-2011, 03:28 PM
cruzalekz

let see, maybe heater hose, iac hose, u hose that goes to the block then back to the head. proper way is to pressure test the system and look for leaks but again u need to have the tool.

let it run and just eyeball it. hopefully its external.