Notices

What u think of removing power steering and A/C

Old 04-28-2003, 10:51 AM
stealthteg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What u think of removing power steering and A/C

I was thinking of taking off the power steering and A/C from my car. I was just wondering is it really that beneficial? Ive heard u can gain at least 5hp to wheels from removing the powersteering? is it true you lose power becauise the motor has to power the pump which makes the engine lose power?
thanks
Old 04-28-2003, 10:56 AM
gregz93integra
Banned

YES, you will gain 5hp at the wheels, 15 at the fly at least.

I am also thinking about doing this, but I was wondering what its like to have no p/s. so if you have removed your p/s let me know how it is, is it easier to turn or harder?
Old 04-28-2003, 10:59 AM
2.2vtecsrv

tha'ts pretty hurtin if you have to take luxary's like ac and ps to gain horsepower. Maybe you should by a higher hp engine
Old 04-28-2003, 11:01 AM
gsr2k

Originally posted by gregz93integra
is it easier to turn or harder?
C'mmon man.....

It's substantially harder to turn slow speeds, but the faster you go, the less you notice it. But cranking the wheel at a stop will be a challenge.

Personally, I think there are better ways to gain 5HP than stripping out creature comforts.
Old 04-28-2003, 11:16 AM
gregz93integra
Banned

well i agree...but its 5hp free...and my ac doesn't work anyway, so i figure f u c k it, i might as well remove them both if I gonna take my ac system out.
Old 04-28-2003, 11:54 AM
Outxider
X-Motoring

i never really understood the whole deal wit removin ac and ps, 5hp, wow. big deal. weight reduction? yeah like 15-20 lbs or so. that will lower ur quarter .005. sorry for the rant but ppl round here thinks its like super racer like and hardcore style to remove ac and ps.
Old 04-28-2003, 12:07 PM
newgsrdriver

You can gain a few HP throughout the entire RPM scale by removing your PS. However, long term effects on your steering system, which requires lubrication, arent ideal, and IMO, its a pain in the ass, especially if you ever have to parallel park.

As for AC, I dont have the belt on, and again, it isnt ideal for your AC system which needs freon circulated frequently (why it is recommended to run your AC in the winter). I havent had any problems nor did I notice any difference, but I also havent run the AC in 9 months :P
Old 04-28-2003, 03:05 PM
MikeR

it is true. the pumps are a parasitic load on the engine. it takes power to turn both of those pully's. and if you think about it a lot of draggers do the same. in straight line you dont need to steer, and definetly dont need a/c for the 10 or so seconds you run. that's why most if not all big drag teams dont run an alt. either, it's weight and a load the engine doesn't require for short runs. i take my belts off at the track and notice a little diff. nothing severe. but as far as the weight diff. i dont understand. the weight you save is minimal and if you think about it on a frt dr car you need the weight up front for traction
Old 04-28-2003, 03:24 PM
stealthteg

thanks for your responses!
they are gonna help my decision!
i might just remove the a/c because it doesnt even work
Old 04-28-2003, 06:26 PM
Shingoblade-GSR
Hellsing Agency

Originally posted by gregz93integra
YES, you will gain 5hp at the wheels, 15 at the fly at least.

I am also thinking about doing this, but I was wondering what its like to have no p/s. so if you have removed your p/s let me know how it is, is it easier to turn or harder?
15 at the fly?

Removing the P/S and AC will get rid of some parasitic power loss, but I'm almost certain you're still going to produce 170 at the flywheel. Maybe we're using different terminology. You'll gain *some* at the wheels (same principle as AEM power pulleys).

I've driven a crusty old civic without P/S; took me a few minutes to navigate myself safely out of a small parking lot.

Shingo