Notices

b18b1 no spark - please help

Old 10-12-2010, 06:29 PM
dustinjs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default b18b1 no spark - please help

i have a 99 teg 4dr 5spd w/ a b18b1 stock motor.

just had a head put on that was machined and was from the same motor as mine with 50k miles. in the past six mos i replaced the plugs. plug wires. cap. rotory button. igniter. map sensor and just replaced the coil.

double checked the timing and the crank as well as the cam shafts are dead on mark as well as te rotory button. main relay has two clicks as well. and im getting fuel. engine will turn over and sounds like it has compression but i am getting no spark. this has me puzzled on what it could be being that there is only so many things that would cause a car to get no spark.

reason for head replacement: on my move to a different city my timing belt tensioner gave out and cause the belt to slip it didnt brake just jumped time and bent some valves.

anybody have any suggestions or anything else i can check and diagnose? if so it will be greatly appreciated and if you tell me to check a part and if you know how to check it as well than please explain at the same time on how to check.

will be doing a compression test in acouple of days. will post results afterwords.

another thing. whats the easiest way to check a igniter and coil and crank sensor?

sorry for the long post but wanted to give as much infomation as i can. and i have three mechanics puzzled as well lol

thanks for checking out my post and trying to help. everything is much appreciated.
Old 10-12-2010, 07:42 PM
Spec R

theres a resistance spec that you can reference for the ignition coil if you use a ohm meter.

post the compression results when you get them.
Old 10-14-2010, 03:28 PM
dustinjs

Originally Posted by Spec R
theres a resistance spec that you can reference for the ignition coil if you use a ohm meter.

post the compression results when you get them.
#1 cyl 0 psi. #2 cyl 40 psi. #3 cyl 0 psi. #4 cyl 80 psi.

Old 10-14-2010, 09:35 PM
Spec R

faulty gasket? totally f-ed head?
Old 10-15-2010, 02:52 AM
dustinjs

Originally Posted by Spec R
faulty gasket? totally f-ed head?
im going with f-ed up head. bought it used from a guy that bought it for me from a friend and who knows if both of them were telling the truth about the condition of the head. not likely the gasket is faulty. isnt as common as a bent valve. still gonna do a leakdown test if i can find a place to rent the tool. that should tell me exactly what is wrong. doubt its the rings cause my car had no signs of my rings failing. thanks for your help bro
Old 10-19-2010, 12:10 AM
ferny_dx

Originally Posted by dustinjs
im going with f-ed up head. bought it used from a guy that bought it for me from a friend and who knows if both of them were telling the truth about the condition of the head. not likely the gasket is faulty. isnt as common as a bent valve. still gonna do a leakdown test if i can find a place to rent the tool. that should tell me exactly what is wrong. doubt its the rings cause my car had no signs of my rings failing. thanks for your help bro
Actually sounds to me that you did something wrong with the timing

Check your timing again,

Align the crankshaft so the TDC mark is aligned with the timing mark on the timing belt cover.

remove the head cover and make sure that the camshafts appear like two plus signs like this(+)(+) and that both have the arrow pointing STRAIGHT UP

Like this:

And for info the firing order is 1-3-4-2

Like this:

Last edited by ferny_dx; 10-19-2010 at 12:10 AM. Reason: typo
Old 10-19-2010, 01:10 PM
IanB
MB4

How are you testing that there is no spark? Are you sure your distributor isn't 180 degrees out where it attaches to the intake cam?

That's one problem, but your compression test results are another, bigger problem. Did you set the valve lash when you put the new head on? You could have valves set too tight and they could be letting the compressed charge out a valve that isn't completely closed. You say the head was machined, was this before or after you bought it? A machinist should have noticed if the head was toast, what work was done to it? Just milled the face, or did you have a valve job done as well?
Old 10-23-2010, 09:20 AM
cruzalekz

dude you need to take care of the compression first before worrrying about spark.

i suggest just get attarco engine rather than rebuilding.