Notices

Buff paint?

Old 07-01-2010, 09:38 AM
dbarton

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buff paint?

I have a silver 89 Integra that looks quite old now. The paint has done that same oxidizing stuff I see on old Acuras/Hondas everywhere.

I'm not looking to make it look great again, but want to improve this and just make it look like most other 20 year old cars.

Is there a specific buffer and wax or paste I should use to do this? I've never done anything like this, so am just looking for quick improvement, and specific suggestions, so it's not quite so ugly.

Last edited by dbarton; 07-01-2010 at 12:09 PM.
Old 07-06-2010, 05:05 PM
joe_kewl81

not really sure how well buffing it works...i know that in the past ive had good luck with turtle wax, 3m, and dupont...
Old 07-06-2010, 05:34 PM
dbarton

Do you mean I should just wax it with one of these things?
What do you guys suggest?
Old 07-08-2010, 07:47 PM
joe_kewl81

waxing it will certianly protect the paint and give it some shine. A cheap fast fix, but what it really needs is probably a good buff and a new clear coat...if its on a whole section (roof, hood, panel) youd be best off doing the whole area...
Old 07-09-2010, 07:57 AM
dbarton

Originally Posted by joe_kewl81
waxing it will certianly protect the paint and give it some shine. A cheap fast fix, but what it really needs is probably a good buff and a new clear coat...if its on a whole section (roof, hood, panel) youd be best off doing the whole area...
What do I use to do buffing?
Or what does it cost to have done?
Old 07-12-2010, 11:49 AM
joe_kewl81

well simply waxing the paint by hand will be the easiest thing to do...im not sure about the buffing since i have never tried it on something that doesnt have a clear coat. You can get a buffer from walmart for 20 30 bux. Depending on how important it is to you, you could just wax it and clear coat it with spray paint, it would probably look fine from a distance. Or if you just want it as a temporary thing until its done professionally....pro painters wont touch it unless its in really good shape though, and its usually well over 5000 bux. Just remember if u wax or buff it, the more times you go over it the less lines you will see, and be careful not to use too much or youll be rubbing your car till your arm falls off. The instructions that come with the waxes and buffing compound usually tell you all you need to know.
Old 07-12-2010, 07:06 PM
Spec R

understand that buffing does not equal "waxing".

buffing is done with a polish or compound.

wax/sealant is used to protect your buffing work.

if the paint is oxidizing it usually means the clear is failing. once the clear has failed, there's no going back.

post some pictures if you can.