Notices

Black Box

Old 05-07-2010, 06:52 PM
MonteC
Transmission Guy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Black Box

What is that little ribbed box on the back of the b18 motor in a 92 integra? It has two hoses coming out of it and one goes up to the intake and then into the pcv valve?

I assume its like a catch can of some sort? Problem is i broke the hose coming from the intake and now the car is losing oil quickly between oil changes, about 2 quarts. The car only smokes a little on heavy accel. Never used to use this much oil before the part broke.

I need to know what i need to buy to fix this. I dont know how the hose is attached to the bottom side of the intake, if i know how its all put together i can probably fix it.
Old 05-08-2010, 01:43 AM
AcuraLsSE
ASE Certified

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The box is for your crank case ventilation. I'm not sure if you could lose that much oil because of the upper hose being bad, I think you may have another problem. One line goes to your pcv valve and the other line goes to your head. It is a pain in the ass to try and remove and install a new hose when everything is connected. I took me a good 45 min.
Old 05-08-2010, 05:45 AM
Lynxs1981

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, that is pretty much a factory catch can, there's a big pipe at the bottom between it and the block allowing the oil to drain back. The easiest way to fix your problem is to pull the hose and get a couple feet of the same size from the parts store and replace it. You're losing more oil without the PCV working correctly due to high crankcase pressure and blow-by.