Notices

AcuraLsSE mini build thread

Old 03-12-2010, 03:28 PM
AcuraLsSE
ASE Certified

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default AcuraLsSE mini build thread

So my crank needs to be replaced because I'm leaking oil out of my oil pump seal. I replaced the seal 4 times and looked everywhere until I finally put some oil leak detector in (the stuff that glows under black light). So I have a B18B1 with 100,000 miles on it sitting in my garage that I've decided to clean up and drop in.

Future plans: Ls vtec

Current plans: JDM ITR pistons in my Ls engine

Step One: The tare down
I needed to finish taking apart the block so I can take it to the machine shop to have some work done. Some pictures I took while taking it apart

Step Two: Machine shop

Well I took my block, crank, and pistons/rods to the shop where they are going to do a little bit of work until I can get the the rest of my parts.
Clean the block
Clean and polish the crank
Blueprint the block

Step Three: Pull out current engine (Wednesday-Thursday)
So I started to take things apart today. Only have the shift linkage, clutch line, and a few electrical connectors before I pull it out. I didn't take very many pictures.

Well I got the engine out and took it all apart today. Stopped taking pictures because my hands were so dirty.

So I only put 1,000 miles on this engine/pistons. Is it normal to have that much carbon build up? The outside ones weren't so bad.

Step Four: All machine shop work (1-2 week turn around) More like over a month...

Update: I ordered a couple of things

So the velocity stack is track only... I plan on rigging up an intake to go out my passenger side headlight. I'll post some pictures while I'm at the track, won't be till next month though.

Last edited by AcuraLsSE; 04-13-2010 at 12:31 AM.
Old 03-13-2010, 01:30 AM
jesusublime99

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Best of luck with this build. Looks like great block to get started with.

So, is it possible to use an ITR oil pump, water pumpand timing belt on a LS VTEC build for better performance?
Old 03-13-2010, 08:32 AM
AcuraLsSE
ASE Certified

Originally Posted by jesusublime99
Best of luck with this build. Looks like great block to get started with.

So, is it possible to use an ITR oil pump, water pumpand timing belt on a LS VTEC build for better performance?
From what I have read its recommended due to the higher RPMs. I have an ITR oil pump(which I'm told there isn't a difference) and I can't tell the difference.

Thanks man. As for my build right now, All I'm doing is putting my JDM ITR pistons in a new block/crank. If I can get some extra cash before starting school again then I'll get a GSR head.

Last edited by AcuraLsSE; 04-13-2010 at 12:34 AM.
Old 03-14-2010, 05:59 AM
Lynxs1981

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like that block could use a good cleaning. I don't know about an ITR oil pump, but I'm running a Toda Hi-Flow pump and it works great with the extra req'd for vtec and the piston oilers.

As for your main seal issue; I'm assuming your crank is scored pretty bad? You can shim behind the seal a little when you replace it, and this will make it run in a slightly different spot on the crank.
Old 03-14-2010, 11:01 AM
AcuraLsSE
ASE Certified

Originally Posted by Lynxs1981
Looks like that block could use a good cleaning. I don't know about an ITR oil pump, but I'm running a Toda Hi-Flow pump and it works great with the extra req'd for vtec and the piston oilers.

As for your main seal issue; I'm assuming your crank is scored pretty bad? You can shim behind the seal a little when you replace it, and this will make it run in a slightly different spot on the crank.
I've read here that for the oil pump you can add or remove a washer to adjust the oil pump pressure.

As for the crank. It wasn't leaking out of the rear main seal, it was leaking out the oil pump side. I have 2 blocks and 2 cranks, so I'm rebuilding a different block and crank.

Last edited by AcuraLsSE; 03-14-2010 at 11:05 AM.
Old 03-15-2010, 04:24 AM
Spec R

oh wow. cant wait
Old 03-15-2010, 06:35 AM
Lynxs1981

Originally Posted by AcuraLsSE
As for the crank. It wasn't leaking out of the rear main seal, it was leaking out the oil pump side.
My apologies, I must have misread that. Yea, there's not much you can do there. As for the washers in the pump, I'm sure it can be done. It's just a spring regulating the pressure anyways; but there is a difference between pressure and flow.

Good luck with the build, looking forward to seeing more!
Old 03-15-2010, 10:28 AM
TheOtherDave™
Apathy Kills

I wouldn't get too crazy about shimming the oil pump valve spring.
Oil volume is just as important and you don't want to run the risk of starvation.

:: HAN Integra FAQ: If, by some miracle, yours hasn't been stolen... check it out!
Old 03-15-2010, 12:04 PM
AcuraLsSE
ASE Certified

Originally Posted by TheOtherDave™
I wouldn't get too crazy about shimming the oil pump valve spring.
Oil volume is just as important and you don't want to run the risk of starvation.
I didn't plan to just brought up something that I read relating to the topic.
Old 03-15-2010, 01:35 PM
TheOtherDave™
Apathy Kills

Originally Posted by AcuraLsSE
I didn't plan to just brought up something that I read relating to the topic.
Then please, pardon my stupidity and pointless nannying. h:

:: HAN Integra FAQ: If, by some miracle, yours hasn't been stolen... check it out!