Notices

AcuraLsSE mini build thread

Old 04-06-2010, 08:38 PM
AcuraLsSE
ASE Certified

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It wasn't hard to tell when it was my piston rings... when I looked in my rear view mirror all I could see was blue smoke. Well, it wasn't that bad but you get the idea.
Old 04-08-2010, 06:42 AM
Lynxs1981

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea, if your rings are bad that's a lot of oil to burn. But the cat does a good job of hiding it if you're burning a little oil; like during break-in.
Old 04-08-2010, 10:42 AM
AcuraLsSE
ASE Certified

I'll keep that in mind. Its not really worth it to me IF there is a problem with the valve seals to fix it if in a couple more months I'll be replacing it.
Old 04-08-2010, 01:44 PM
Lynxs1981

No, them leaking isn't really a big deal, compared to piston rings. I wouldn't worry about it either since you're replacing it. Just keep an eye out next time it's apart, see if the same cylinders are gunked up.
Old 05-18-2010, 12:01 AM
AcuraLsSE
ASE Certified

So the shop has had my engine for 2 months now... they say I should get it back this week. I'm bummed out now that I have missed half of race season. I'll update when I get it back.
Old 06-13-2010, 11:47 AM
AcuraLsSE
ASE Certified

So I just got my engine back after waiting for almost 3 months... I'll update some pictures later.

So I had asked the shop if they would mic my block/crank/rods so I could use the measurements to find out what bearings I'm going to need. I already have some that I bought last year with just under 1,000 miles on them and plan on reusing what I can. When I got my stuff back they told me they wouldn't mic it for me but just to use green for everything. I know that Honda's specs are something like 0.0008 to 0.0012 and I want to be close to that range since I plan on taking this engine to the track.

So today/tomorrow I'm going to get some plasti gauge and see what my clearance specs are with what I already have and go from there.

Just found out that my cousin wrecked his 95 ls so I'm getting his vtec head for free... going to have to wait for a little more cash before I can put it on though.

Last edited by AcuraLsSE; 06-13-2010 at 07:56 PM.
Old 06-13-2010, 07:52 PM
Spec R

ugh that sucks balls.
Old 06-13-2010, 10:35 PM
AcuraLsSE
ASE Certified

Well it looks like the head I got is a 2000 si head, It's condition is questionable. I think I'm going to need to get a new vtec solenoid and ECU. I pulled the ECU out and it says p30 spoon on it. I'm guessing that it was sent off and chipped... On the plus side it came with ARP head studs.

As far as the plasti gauge it looks like I have .001 to .002 clearance on all main and rods. I'm thinking about just using all the bearings I already have and not buying anymore.

Last edited by AcuraLsSE; 06-22-2010 at 08:46 PM.
Old 06-22-2010, 08:52 PM
AcuraLsSE
ASE Certified

Well I take my engine into a local shop on Thursday to have them put in the pistons, rods, and crank. Then Friday I plan on putting the engine together. On Saturday I need to go pull my cousin's B18. So I think I'll be putting the engine in Sunday/ Monday.

I didn't think pictures of the machine work were all that exciting so I'll be sure to have pictures of when I'm putting the engine back together and a video of the start up.
Old 06-28-2010, 02:23 AM
AcuraLsSE
ASE Certified

Well I got the engine back from the shop that installed the crank/bearings/pistons. Today I did a little more work on the car... I pulled the stock exhaust and shift linkage. I also took apart the rest of the block so that I could start on the new block (Working on tomorrow)

Sending the engine off to the shop to be put together

The machine shop was kind of rough with the block my block and chipped the deck surface. Good thing it isn't on the gasket surface though.

Picking it up from the shop

Getting ready to start work on it after its been sitting for 3 months

So I pulled my stock exhaust to swap it out with the exhaust I got for free off of my cousins wreaked lsvtec integra

It looks like whoever had the exhaust made used stock size pipping for the part running to the muffler. I plan on taking it to an exhaust shop and having them install a bigger pipe, the same size as the rest of the exhaust.

So I got the new engine on the engine stand and ready to be assembled.

A shot of the deck surface with the newish JDM ITR pistons

I took the front bumper off and removed the head lights because I plan on trying to route my velocity stack through the front bumper. I have a really crappy passenger side head light that I'm planning on cutting in half so I can still have a low beam headlight on the passenger side when driving back from the track.

Well that's all I have for now. I plan on having the engine put together by tomorrow night and in the car running by Tuesday.

Last edited by AcuraLsSE; 06-28-2010 at 02:25 AM.