Notices

90 Integra not starting... randomly. Help.

Old 03-16-2003, 02:04 PM
BigDan37

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 90 Integra not starting... randomly. Help.

My Integra is not starting randomly. Occasionally I will turn it over and it sounds like it wants to start but no fuel is getting pumped in. It just chugga chugga chugs and doesn't fire. This happens maybe once every two weeks. It usually happens when it has been sitting in the sun all day but not always. Usually it works if I let it sit a couple hours but sometimes I have had to let it sit overnight. When it does start it runs great. I just replaced the fuel filter so that can't be it. Any of you car buffs have some thoughts? I would rather save some green and not take it to the mechanic. Maybe it is a relay? I really don't know. This is my first Honda. Thanks.
Old 03-16-2003, 02:50 PM
90'RS

Next time it does it take one of the spark plugs out and see if you have spark. If you don't have spark then you need to troubleshoot the ignition system starting with the plug wires and working your way back towards the distributor. If you get to the distributor with no problems then the ignition in the steering column. If you do have spark then I would start with the fuel system. The first thing to check would be the pressure to make sure their is no blocks or a faulty pump. good luck and maybe some others have a few ideas also.
Old 03-16-2003, 03:09 PM
BigDan37

Thanks for the reply. How exactly do I check spark? Do I put a screwdriver next to it?
Old 03-16-2003, 06:33 PM
90'RS

The spark happens at the plug itself so shouldn't need anything else. Just make sure that when the hoods is up that you have it shaded underneath and you shouldn't have a problem seeing the spark. Just in case you need to know how to test the wires, you take a multi-meter and use the ohm rating to test the resistance. Past that I don't have the numbers maybe someone with a helms could help you with that.
Old 03-17-2003, 06:46 AM
red.da

you said it does this usually after its been in the sun for a long time? it sounds like its your main fuel relay then, very common problem among the g2's. mine was doing the same thing.
Old 03-17-2003, 08:39 AM
BigDan37

Thanks so much for the tip. That is something I was thinking that it might be myself. Is the main fuel relay something that is easy to replace in Honda's? Where exactly is that in my Acura? DO you any place that you can get them cheaper? Thanks.
Old 03-17-2003, 06:02 PM
red.da

Originally posted by BigDan37
Thanks so much for the tip. That is something I was thinking that it might be myself. Is the main fuel relay something that is easy to replace in Honda's? Where exactly is that in my Acura? DO you any place that you can get them cheaper? Thanks.
i got mine from acura ($44 cdn). its very easy to replace. it is located behind the panel under your steering wheel. all you need to do is remove that panel (3 screws) and search around under there, i think it is held on by a screw or a nut, i cant remember but it is a simple job. good luck.
Old 03-18-2003, 04:01 PM
g2tegls
MR, ftw

Originally posted by red.da
you said it does this usually after its been in the sun for a long time? it sounds like its your main fuel relay then, very common problem among the g2's. mine was doing the same thing.
:werd: I would think that's the problem right there. I replaced mine too about a year ago or so. h: