Notices

Crank Pulley Removal Tool

Old 01-23-2010, 05:48 AM
dlmcmurr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crank Pulley Removal Tool

Getting ready to do a timing belt on my 91 Integra Hatch and wanted to buy the tool for removing the crank bolt. I didn't want to waste time and money getting the wrong one when most of the descriptions only say "fits most Hondas and Acuras". Can anyone point me to the proper tool for my application?

Second minor question: without removing my valve cover to check first, are my valve adjusters 10 or 12mm for getting the proper tool to simplify that job.

Thanks,
Dave
Old 01-23-2010, 06:23 AM
Lynxs1981

The locking nuts for the valves are 10mm. As for the tool, I've always just used a socket on an impact. Never had to use the tool to hold the crank.
Old 01-31-2010, 06:48 PM
FooD2000
Still Water

Originally Posted by Lynxs1981
The locking nuts for the valves are 10mm. As for the tool, I've always just used a socket on an impact. Never had to use the tool to hold the crank.
For some, even the brakes + long breaker bar has worked.. for others it's been a nightmare trying to get the crank pulley off.

I bought the tool a long time ago off amazon for $30, it was great! As far as the "fits more hondas" I've used my CSP holder for different various others hondas so i'm sure the one you want to buy will work for the teggy.

this is her:
Amazon.com: Honda Harmonic Damper Crank Shaft Pulley Holder Tool: Home Improvement Amazon.com: Honda Harmonic Damper Crank Shaft Pulley Holder Tool: Home Improvement

However, i don't think it's two parts.. if you could find one where it can unscrew at the head, it's a little easier to get on.
Old 02-01-2010, 04:02 AM
dlmcmurr

Will you measure your CSP tool for me. I found one that gives the size of 50mm and I'll try to get some calipers inside my pulley to measure it. If you'll search for Powerbuilt 648796 on Amazon it says 50mm on it. Also saw a less likely Alltrade 648818 with 45mm.

Thanks,
Dave
Old 02-01-2010, 08:15 PM
FooD2000
Still Water

I'm not sure what you want me to measure... the length of the hex head is 1.9 inches.

Amazon.com: Powerbuilt 648796 Honda Crankcase Pulley Removal Tool: Automotive Amazon.com: Powerbuilt 648796 Honda Crankcase Pulley Removal Tool: Automotive
that's the crank head right there if you want to use a breaker bar + cheat bar on the end instead of the whole bar attached...

$25 vs $50 bucks.
Old 02-02-2010, 03:52 AM
dlmcmurr

What I was looking for was the outside diameter of the hex part of the tool, 45 vs. 50mm or some other size, although I do need to make sure the tool will reach deep enough into the pulley to engage. Thanks for helping.

Dave
Old 03-21-2010, 06:53 PM
8secHonda

i just pulled my crank pully. i bought a chain wrench to hold the pully it worked very well .. ( i couldnt find the 50mm tool so i improvised)
Old 03-21-2010, 08:46 PM
AcuraLsSE
ASE Certified

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldn't spend money on anything. The 2 ways I've removed my crank pulley is to use an impact gun or have someone put the car in 5th(assuming its a stick) and have someone step on the brakes. Then I just hold on the the front toe hook and use my leg on a beaker bar.
Old 05-03-2010, 03:09 PM
FooD2000
Still Water

Originally Posted by AcuraLsSE
I wouldn't spend money on anything. The 2 ways I've removed my crank pulley is to use an impact gun or have someone put the car in 5th(assuming its a stick) and have someone step on the brakes. Then I just hold on the the front toe hook and use my leg on a beaker bar.
I implemented the following techniques on my crankshaft pulley when i did it back when:
1) Standing on brakes and + in gear + cheat bar
2) using a breaker bar and using the starter to knock it loose.
3) 3/4 impact gun
4) chain wrench + towl around the pulley and using a breaker, then trying to get it loose.

#4 to be sometimes is a little scary as i don't want to damage the pulley but 1-3 did not get my bolt loose (trust me, i gave it hell).

However, for a lot of people i've seen these methods work and for others like myself... had to get the CSP holder.
Old 05-05-2010, 05:53 AM
AcuraLsSE
ASE Certified

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FooD2000
I implemented the following techniques on my crankshaft pulley when i did it back when:
1) Standing on brakes and + in gear + cheat bar
2) using a breaker bar and using the starter to knock it loose.
3) 3/4 impact gun
4) chain wrench + towl around the pulley and using a breaker, then trying to get it loose.

#4 to be sometimes is a little scary as i don't want to damage the pulley but 1-3 did not get my bolt loose (trust me, i gave it hell).

However, for a lot of people i've seen these methods work and for others like myself... had to get the CSP holder.
In school someone had brought in there Honda engine and had to use an impact gun to remove it. It does around 1000ft lbs in reverse and we almost didn't get it off. Its all about the leverage you can get on it. IF it's on a lift you can use a really long breaker bar.

Also, when its in gear you want to in 5th so that the gear reduction isn't working with you.