Notices

Car won't start

Old 03-15-2003, 08:55 AM
randomtask77
Wanderer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car won't start

My friend has a 96 SE and the car won't start. We were guessing it was the battery cause we'd jump it and it would start. But after a couple of days of not using it, it won't start again when he'd want to. I'm guessing it's the alternator but would like other factors that could be the problem.

Also, is if it is the alternator, is the alternator from a civic the same for the teggy? Just curious. Thanks for any help.
Old 03-15-2003, 09:26 AM
b00gers

i believe the alternator on a teg is bigger.

you can always take the car to autozone or kragen to see if you can get it tested.
Old 03-16-2003, 05:12 AM
Odysseus

Wow, I haven't been here for a year.

I'm having the exact same problem. Had the alternator checked (Sears $10.95). It still works, but is not putting out enough amps. Now the battery is going bad as well. I think I overworked the alt over the last year by running my 700W stereo. I need a new one and am looking for a high output. Found a 135 amp for $200. If you run a high output stereo or other electronics, you may be having the same problem.
Old 03-16-2003, 10:46 PM
randomtask77
Wanderer

Originally posted by Odysseus
Wow, I haven't been here for a year.

I'm having the exact same problem. Had the alternator checked (Sears $10.95). It still works, but is not putting out enough amps. Now the battery is going bad as well. I think I overworked the alt over the last year by running my 700W stereo. I need a new one and am looking for a high output. Found a 135 amp for $200. If you run a high output stereo or other electronics, you may be having the same problem.
Well, he has a sub and an amp, but nothing you'd call a "system". Plus his radio's been messing up and he's not using it, so I'd rule that out as a factor.

I guess that I should mention that he bought the car used in 99 (despite being a 96 model) and I don't think that any major maintenance was done to it (done by him anyways). So would this be about the time that an alternator would go bad? Again, any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks. :thumbup:
Old 03-17-2003, 12:38 AM
DB7 2.0
Banned

my alternator is 8yrs going on to 9yrs old....still fine...*knock on wood*

have u tried using a newer battery and see if that fixes it?
Old 03-17-2003, 02:35 AM
Odysseus

An alternator's life depends upon how hard it needs to work. They are not really ment to handle any additions to the car. Lights, stereo, playstations... Any additional power consumption will likely shorten alternator life. Anyway, have it checked, the cost is minimal. It may just be the battery, or even a loose drive belt.
Old 03-17-2003, 05:58 AM
pomansouth

if it stays running when you get it cranked with no problem then it is not the alternator but is the battery. batteries die before alternators usually. go buy you a battery and be done with it.
Old 03-17-2003, 06:03 AM
teg_fan
I like integra's

That happened to my car before my battery died. Check the terminals to make sure there is a good connection first.