Notices

KONI Red vs. KONI Yellow

Old 06-20-2002, 07:07 AM
spongybandaids

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default KONI Red vs. KONI Yellow

can anybody explain to me what the differences are between the Koni Red and yellow stuts?

it seems that everybody is going for Yellow, but why is that? :madfawk:
Old 06-20-2002, 07:13 AM
PatrickGSR94
I'm not a n00b!

What is the :madfawk: for?

The Koni Red shocks are more of a budget performance oriented damper, w/ stock-style spring perches and all that. They have adjustable damping, but I think there is only a choice of 3 settings, and you have to compress the piston all the way and turn it to adjust (i.e. only when off the car).

The Yellow is the all-out performance/race shock. IMHO it is the best off-the-shelf performance damper for a Honda/Acura. Externally adjustable at the turn of a knob, anywhere within the range of ~1.75 turns from full soft to full stiff. For Civics and Integras, it also has a separate spring perch w/ slots on the shock body, allowing a limited range of height adjustment (which I needed to make my car sit level, rear was higher w/ perches at stock position).
Old 06-20-2002, 07:31 AM
qtiger

What he said. Reds are just an OE replacement/slightly upgraded shock, and the yellows are more of a sport shock.

I would definately disagree with the 'best off the shelf' thing though. There's a whole lot of stuff out there that most people don't know about simply because it isn't sold on the mainstream sites. IE: Advance Design and Koni's better shocks (3012, etc) come to mind.
Old 06-20-2002, 08:51 AM
spongybandaids

thanks for your help...

I'll be driving the car in all four seasons (damn snow!!!) so I'll have to raise the car for the winter and drop it for the summer, assuming i get the skunk2's. Would the Red or Yellow be at a disadvantage if i keep adjusting them seasonally?

I'm not a racer or anything like that, i just want my ride to look aggressive...

oh another thing...what's the price difference?
Old 06-20-2002, 09:05 AM
PatrickGSR94
I'm not a n00b!

Originally posted by spongybandaids
thanks for your help...

I'll be driving the car in all four seasons (damn snow!!!) so I'll have to raise the car for the winter and drop it for the summer, assuming i get the skunk2's. Would the Red or Yellow be at a disadvantage if i keep adjusting them seasonally?

I'm not a racer or anything like that, i just want my ride to look aggressive...

oh another thing...what's the price difference?
The Yellows should be more readily able to handle lower ride heights.

Also keep in mind that an alignment is a MUST every time you change the ride height (toe-in most importantly has to be adjusted).

I guess what I should have said is that the Yellows are probably the best commonly available performance shock for Hondas (lots of places carry them, easy to get, still not as expensive as OEM shocks, etc.).