Notices

Sunroof maintenance...

Old 01-26-2009, 01:21 PM
A-dub5513

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sunroof maintenance...

Although I'm not exactly sure what is causing this, but when the sunroof is sliding on its tracks, it tends to shake a bit instead of sliding smoothly. Also, when reaching the end of the tracks when closing, it makes this 'cracking' sound as the glass tilts down.

I'm guessing the tracks need to be cleaned and regreased and/or realigned? If that's the case, is this something that I can do easily with basic tools? Are there any special procedures to be aware of to have it correctly reinstalled?

Thanks,
A-dub
Old 01-26-2009, 09:50 PM
pslsnakes
F#%K JDM, USDM FTW

Mine will do that when I open it when the sun shade is already back.

Take some graphite spray and spray it on the tracks to lube them.
Old 01-26-2009, 11:10 PM
A-dub5513

That's it?! Will do...thanks. Being that this car is 10 years old, I was just wondering if it was starting to go a little off alignment or something.

Actually, the sunroof is always left opened (tilted up) pretty much every day since I owned it (unless it's raining), so I figured with years of stress on the tilt mechanism supporting the weight of the glass while I drive over the years has got to have an effect. So I figured it was off alignment because when I do close it, it makes a not-so-nice mechanical sound as it seals. I'm really more concerned about this than the sliding aspect. Still, thanks for your input.

But then I gotta ask...there's actually a kind of grease on those rails from the factory. Wouldn't that render a dry "lubing" compound useless?

Still, thanks.

A-dub

Last edited by A-dub5513; 01-26-2009 at 11:17 PM.
Old 01-26-2009, 11:24 PM
A-dub5513

Wait a minute...you said graphite spray. I might've been thinking about something else. A friend told me about using graphite (powder?) to ease the sliding of power windows when they begin to stick. If that's not you're talkin' about, then my bad.

A-dub
Old 01-27-2009, 01:29 AM
pslsnakes
F#%K JDM, USDM FTW

Mine will bounce and make a sound when I open it when the sun shade is already back. As for the sound when closing it, I'm not sure.

I meant graphite spray in a can. I've heard of using the powder, but I cannot find it.

I don't know what brand the can is, though. What I do is go to the auto parts store, and look at all the sprays. I find a spray can, spray a tiny bit on the shelve, and dab my finger with it. If it feels slippery, I get it. If it feels more oily and gummy, I move on to the next can.

Silicone spray is also very good.

Last edited by pslsnakes; 01-27-2009 at 01:31 AM.
Old 01-27-2009, 08:55 AM
Spec R

yep clean, then lube the tracks. mine made funny sounds/actions and i was like wtf. then i cleaned and lubed the tracks and it works as designed with no oddities.
Old 01-27-2009, 12:41 PM
Line7
Platinum Member

I have been experiencing such issues with sunroof and windows for a while. From time to time I lube the tracks with lithium grease. However, I noticed some buildup.

What's the best way to clean the off the buildup, I was thinking brake cleaner? Any other suggestions.
Dont mean to highjack your thread, Op, but i thought this would be helpful to you as well.

Edit: You mentioned problems with tilting. You could try to grease the rubber seals around the glass as pslsnakes mantioned.

Last edited by Line7; 01-27-2009 at 12:44 PM.
Old 01-27-2009, 02:02 PM
Spec R

brakecleaner can dry out rubber pretty bad, so i wouldnt recommend it as a cleaner. simple green or some other kind of bio-safe cleaner should do the trick.
Old 01-27-2009, 04:35 PM
A-dub5513

Thanks pslsnakes. Yeah, mine does the same 'shake/shudder' thing when it opens. Like Spec said, it's probably just a lube issue.

However Spec, cleaning and lubing sounds simple enough, but if I'm going in there for cleaning, I'd kinda like to take the glass off for a detailed job and also clean the top of visor (dusty!). This a simple thing to do?

Line7, no worries dude. Like Spec said, I'd totally go against using brake cleaner for the side window as that would ruin the rubber tracks.

But wait a minute, this may start to confuse others because we're going back and forth between sunroof and side windows...lol! But as far as the side power windows go, I did a search and learned that to correctly clean and lube, first take off the door panels to gain access to the lower portion of the tracks. Then spray with air tool/compressor oil...or as suggest to me, powder graphite. With glass down, do the same to tracks on the top half of the door. Here's the link: http://www.team-integra.net/sections...?ArticleID=596

What I'd like to know:

Sunroof: Has anyone taken apart the sunroof for a full detail? And what type of lube is best?
Side windows: What's the best lube for rubber tracks? Anyone had experience with the graphite powder?

A-dub

Last edited by A-dub5513; 01-27-2009 at 04:37 PM.
Old 01-27-2009, 06:33 PM
pslsnakes
F#%K JDM, USDM FTW

Originally Posted by Line7
I have been experiencing such issues with sunroof and windows for a while. From time to time I lube the tracks with lithium grease. However, I noticed some buildup.

What's the best way to clean the off the buildup, I was thinking brake cleaner? Any other suggestions.
Dont mean to highjack your thread, Op, but i thought this would be helpful to you as well.

Edit: You mentioned problems with tilting. You could try to grease the rubber seals around the glass as pslsnakes mantioned.
Lithium grease sucks.. It works until it dries, and it gums up. Use silicone spray. Much better for that, and works VERY well for the rubber window tracks.

Brake cleaner will destroy the rubber. I found it's best to use soap and water and compressed air to blow it out of the tracks.