Notices

brake fluid

Old 12-22-2008, 06:13 PM
ago car nut

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default brake fluid

I have a 2001 integra GS, I opened all the brake bleeders and pumped all the old fluid out. then I refilled the MC and bled all 4 calipers. Did I do it incorrect? I understand the newer ABS bleeds threw the calipers. I do not have any codes or lights.
Old 12-22-2008, 07:42 PM
TheOtherDave™
Apathy Kills

You should be alright. To be safe, I would find an isolated road to engage ABS a few times to be absolutely sure no air is trapped within the ABS valve body. It's highly unlikely, but IMO it's worth doing.

Of course, be smart about when and where you do this.
Don't go blasting along at 80, only to risk running out of road if disaster strikes.

:: HAN Integra FAQ: If, by some miracle, yours hasn't been stolen... check it out!
Old 01-07-2009, 11:34 AM
cruzalekz

u did it wrong, u should not have emptied the master, now your brakes might have air in it specially @the master.

that now requieres removal and bench bleeding
Old 01-08-2009, 06:06 AM
Line7
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by cruzalekz
u did it wrong, u should not have emptied the master, now your brakes might have air in it specially @the master.

that now requieres removal and bench bleeding
Since I dont have ABS, I may be wrong, but I believe you ARE supposed to empty the master except that you cannot pump the pedal when there is no fluid in the master.

They way I did it is that I emptied the master using a syringe to suck the fluid out from the top and proceeded with the regular routine, making sure the master never gets empty.

See how they feel, if they are still spongy, then bleed them again, making sure you follow the correct proceedure.
Old 01-08-2009, 07:40 AM
Lynxs1981

You can remove it that way, you're just not supposed to bleed the MC dry.
Old 01-11-2009, 05:22 AM
A-series
v-card member alpha

^Exactly.
To my knowledge (although never worked with the type that bleeds ABS through the rest of the system) you're supposed to keep the MC "full of fluid". Meaning not to let it get below the minimum line on the reservoir. You might be able to let it get a tad below, fill it back up, and be fine, but too low and obviously you're letting air into the system, either as you pump the pedal with the cap off, or once you open the cap to add fluid.

Last edited by A-series; 01-11-2009 at 05:23 AM.