$800 for belt replacement?

Old 08-30-2008, 02:44 PM
Fess
New York Trini

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default $800 for belt replacement?

2000 integra
23,004 miles (hardly driven)

I always take this car for service an the dealership.
They suggested that I perform the belts/hoses replacement just to be on the safe side, its like over $800.

Is this dealer bull$hit or is it a normal price for such a task?

-Fess
Old 08-30-2008, 04:07 PM
TheOtherDave™
Apathy Kills

You are overdue (based on time) for a timing belt replacement.

The water pump & timing belt tensioner are usually replaced along with the belt. This is because if either part fails mechanically, it can lead to the belt either jumping a tooth or failing altogether.

And since the motor in your Integra is an interference design, you do not want to risk having the timing belt snap.

Ask your mechanic to quote you only for the timing belt, tensioner & water pump replacement only. That should knock the price down substantially.

I'm not one to skimp on preventative maintenance, but I'm skeptical about what hoses your mechanic feels ought to be replaced at this point.

:: HAN Integra FAQ: If, by some miracle, yours hasn't been stolen... check it out!

Last edited by TheOtherDave™; 08-30-2008 at 04:12 PM.
Old 08-31-2008, 07:24 AM
Fess
New York Trini

Ask your mechanic to quote you only for the timing belt, tensioner & water pump replacement only. That should knock the price down substantially.

I'm not one to skimp on preventative maintenance, but I'm skeptical about what hoses your mechanic feels ought to be replaced at this point.
Thanks..
I'll look into your suggestion Dave. Agreeable about preventative maintenance, but the quote "outside" the dealership will put thing in to perspective i'm guessing.

-Fess
Old 08-31-2008, 10:02 AM
Spec R

yep dealerships charge about 800 bucks for the timing belt service. if i'm not mistaken you're supposed to get a valve adjustment as part of the service as well. new valve cover and associated gaskets too. yes its pricey but for something as crucial as your timing belt, it may be worth the peace of mind getting factory OEM parts/fluid/service BUT...beware of douche bag service techs. some dealers have awesome tech training and hiring regimens, but you'd have to have an inside source at that dealership to know the quality of the crew working there.

if you have a local independent shop that you trust, and insist that they use OEM parts, you may only spend half or less of that 800 dollar price tag.

of course, if you're mechanically inclined you can do it yourself, but if its your first time, I wouldnt recommend it. unless you're surrounded by experienced honda guys with all the proper tools and know-how, then dont do it, a mistake in the install could mean much more $$$ than the money saved by not going to the dealer.

when i did the timing belt on my GF's CRV, the first hitch was the damn crank pulley bolt. after borrowing all sorts of tools from friends, i still couldnt get the damn thing loose. mind you, i have my own air compressor and impact guns of decent quality (snap-on). i ended up going to my old professor at the school i went to and borrowed his big ass impact gun. after 5-6 hours of delay i finally got the crank pulley bolt off.

then the pulley didnt want to come off. great, more delays. i eventually got that off and got water pump, belt tensioner, coolant in and it was time to put the belt on. i double checked to see if the teeth were lined up and all that and it looked good to me. mind you, it was 2am. i drive the car around the block and it wont accelerate. damn it was a tooth off.

luckily if its only 1-2 teeth off, no mechanical damage is done, but its definitely not good for the car.

anyway, i probably put in like 14-16 hours into the job, for a car that ran exactly the same as it did when it first pulled into my garage. the best part, i didnt get paid a dime. in fact i even bought the parts too. what a lucky gf i have haha.

the point is, in my opinion, sometimes paying extra is worth not dealing with the BS and hassles of doing it yourself in the first place.

the dealer would have finished the job in 4-6 hours with an average tech. I've done timing belts in shop environments in 3 hours, but thats with a car on the lift and all the correct tools at my disposal. the delays i had at home were tool related (crank pulley bolt, crank pulley puller, cam gear holders, etc), and not having a lift is a big time delay.

Last edited by Spec R; 08-31-2008 at 10:18 AM.
Old 09-01-2008, 05:11 PM
ADRONICUS
www.ufc.com

All my belts were done at about 102k for a little over 8bills. The dealer wanted to charge about 1200 bills.
Old 09-01-2008, 06:59 PM
Line7
Platinum Member

Stumbled upon this and am a little confused. I have a '95 Civic and according to the manual we change the T-belt every 90K. Whats the deal?
Old 09-03-2008, 12:58 PM
IanB
MB4

Originally Posted by Line7
Stumbled upon this and am a little confused. I have a '95 Civic and according to the manual we change the T-belt every 90K. Whats the deal?
What's the deal with what? You change the timing belt as per the service schedule, as it is a belt and not a chain.
Old 09-03-2008, 05:18 PM
Line7
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by IanB
What's the deal with what? You change the timing belt as per the service schedule, as it is a belt and not a chain.
Pardon me, Im an idiot. The OP said he has 23k on the engine, and Dave said "you're overdue." I just noticed the "based on time" in brackets.
Old 09-04-2008, 12:18 PM
IanB
MB4

Pardon me, Im an idiot. The OP said he has 23k on the engine, and Dave said "you're overdue." I just noticed the "based on time" in brackets.
Ah, no worries. I'm having to do the timing belt on my wife's '98 1.6EL as well very shortly, only 90,000kms, but 10 years old already.
Old 09-06-2008, 02:40 PM
VPUPPY

Rubber, which is the material used, can dry up and crack after age. Along with the heating and cooling this belt goes through, it also carries an age requirement along with a mileage requirement.