Notices

Gl-4 Gl-5?

Old 08-14-2008, 08:40 AM
super_teg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gl-4 Gl-5?

i have a 97 integra gsr with the stock b18c1 transmission. i need to yet agian drain it and refil for the second time this month since i blew the half shaft seal. when i did it the fisrt time i used 10$ a bottle honda mtf which is gl-4. the car is a tuner but no racing on strip or w/e is done so i dont need racing mtl. its a daily driver that i kick down every chance i get. im just wondering if i can use gl-5 in this tranny so i can just buy the shit at walmart instead of honda. this is probly a dumb question but i dont know much about transmissions yet.
Old 08-14-2008, 10:37 AM
TheOtherDave™
Apathy Kills

Honda is quite picky about their gear oils.
Rather than economize on the lubrication, I would look deeper into why that particular seal continues to fail prematurely.

By comparison, the S80 transmission on my 97 LS has 120K miles and hasn't leaked a drop.

:: HAN Integra FAQ: If, by some miracle, yours hasn't been stolen... check it out!
Old 08-14-2008, 10:58 AM
super_teg

this is the first time that seal went out, ever. its the oem seal. what i was talking about before was that i flushed the tranny and filled it back up then i noticed it was leaking (i noticed it before that beacuse i changed the oil pan gasket and had some trouble with it leaking but i used rtv and two JB oil stop leak treatments and it was fine but i noticed the half shaft had oil all over and on the side of the pan so im going to change that as well as the one on the other side). but i still need to know if i can put like the penzoil gl-5, or the like quakerstate gl-5 in it which i hear is fine in trannys with lsd, how ever i dont know if mine has an lsd.
Old 08-14-2008, 12:35 PM
JoePoonani
Lexus Tech y0!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just use Honda MTF, its not THAT expensive.
Old 08-14-2008, 07:49 PM
Lynxs1981

Not to jump too far off topic, but how did you flush the mtx? Any chance you could have damaged the seal in the process?
Old 08-16-2008, 10:35 AM
super_teg

i just flushed it out the drain plug.