Notices

OEM Flywheel vs Lightened Flywheel

Old 08-06-2008, 10:33 AM
ENFORCER

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OEM Flywheel vs Lightened Flywheel

Looks like its time to do a clutch job on the Integra. Im going to go with an Exedy replacement clutch. This car is a daily driver and i dont really need to mess around with anything fancy. The only thing ive been wondering about is the flywheel. The garage said that they normaly "turn down" the oem flywheel so that its level again but ive read some things that say if the clutch has been slipping (oh yeah it has ) that it can sometimes destroy the flywheel past the point of being able to condition it.

I was thinking about saving the hastle in the garage and picking up a brand new flywheel. Either one of the Fadinza or Prolites. How much of a difference in driving will this make. Yes the fact that it will spin up faster is all well and good but this thing isnt a race car. Im worried about the fact that it will spin down faster too. Will i have to shift faster so that the engine wont bog? Any experence anyone has with this would be wonderful.... i need a new clutch soon!
Old 08-06-2008, 06:46 PM
Fuse

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should be fine as long as you don't take 5 minutes to shift. You spin up faster and add a little power and a hair more mpgs (just a hair).
Old 08-06-2008, 07:29 PM
AcuraLsSE
ASE Certified

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There isn't a huge difference, but what you do notice is nice. It isn't any harder to drive. I have noticed a cleaner shift with the stage one clutch and 10lb flywheel.
Old 08-06-2008, 08:41 PM
ADRONICUS
www.ufc.com

I personally have the Exedy OEM replacement clutch w/the Fidanza 7.5lb. flywheel. If you found the combo on ebay it is good to go. The one guy who sells that package (most popular) is selling a legit product.

The daily driving of it feels completely normal after break-in. You'll notice the difference only when you stick your foot in it.

No harm in having the stock flywheel turned. I have an extra one for b-series if your interested, if yours is shot.
Old 08-06-2008, 09:07 PM
TheOtherDave™
Apathy Kills

Follow this link for my take on lightened flywheels from 05.

https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/s...d.php?t=185845

Also, I have seen what happens when a shaved OEM flywheel fails.
It isn't pretty. If you're going to go for a lighter unit, resist the temptation to shave your OEM flywheel.

:: HAN Integra FAQ: If, by some miracle, yours hasn't been stolen... check it out!
Old 08-06-2008, 09:48 PM
Spec R

dave, are you talking about people who drop like 5 lbs from the stock flywheel, or the the people who just resurface the contact area, like a brake rotor?
Old 08-06-2008, 10:12 PM
TheOtherDave™
Apathy Kills

Originally Posted by Spec R
dave, are you talking about people who drop like 5 lbs from the stock flywheel, or the the people who just resurface the contact area, like a brake rotor?
Definitely the former.
Taking a few thousandths of an inch off the contact pad isn't cause for alarm.

The flywheel on the Saab I mentioned in the other thread had been visibly shaved out to within about 1/4" of the ring gear. At launch, it just detonated like a claymore.

:: HAN Integra FAQ: If, by some miracle, yours hasn't been stolen... check it out!
Old 08-07-2008, 07:04 AM
ENFORCER

Originally Posted by TheOtherDave™
Follow this link for my take on lightened flywheels from 05.

https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/s...d.php?t=185845

Also, I have seen what happens when a shaved OEM flywheel fails.
It isn't pretty. If you're going to go for a lighter unit, resist the temptation to shave your OEM flywheel.

I actually only ment a resurface. I hadnt even considered having it shaved down to lighten it, and at that point i would just buy a lighter one.

Last edited by ENFORCER; 08-07-2008 at 07:05 AM.
Old 08-07-2008, 08:48 AM
ENFORCER

Originally Posted by ADRONICUS
I personally have the Exedy OEM replacement clutch w/the Fidanza 7.5lb. flywheel. If you found the combo on ebay it is good to go. The one guy who sells that package (most popular) is selling a legit product.

The daily driving of it feels completely normal after break-in. You'll notice the difference only when you stick your foot in it.

No harm in having the stock flywheel turned. I have an extra one for b-series if your interested, if yours is shot.
One question i have about the ones listed on ebay are the Exedy clutch kits without included flywheels. Some are $150 others are $250. They both seem to be the same clutch kit. Should i be leary of the $150 ones? Anyone know what the deal is?

I decided to stop in to the local Carquest on the way back from lunch today to see what there pricing was like. They can get me an OE fitment ACL flywheel for 80 bucks. Im not really concerned with spending the extra money on a lighter one unless anyone has some really good objections :thinking:
Old 08-07-2008, 11:43 AM
ADRONICUS
www.ufc.com

Originally Posted by ENFORCER
One question i have about the ones listed on ebay are the Exedy clutch kits without included flywheels. Some are $150 others are $250. They both seem to be the same clutch kit. Should i be leary of the $150 ones? Anyone know what the deal is?

I decided to stop in to the local Carquest on the way back from lunch today to see what there pricing was like. They can get me an OE fitment ACL flywheel for 80 bucks. Im not really concerned with spending the extra money on a lighter one unless anyone has some really good objections :thinking:
Do not be weary. The one for 150 is w/o the flywheel. The guy who sells them on ebay is a direct dealer and makes on shipping. My combo came out to a little over 300 after shipping.