Notices

Oil leaks

Old 08-05-2008, 03:34 PM
lostape
Casual Participant

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil leaks

i have a 98 integra rs with 252,000 miles and its been leaking a bit out of this black cap in the center of this pic. anyone know what this is called so i can replace it? is it an easy fix? also you can see the caked on oil near the bottom of the motor behind the exhaust manifold. is there somewhere else the oil is coming from? i rinsed that whole area about 2 weeks ago and you can already see the build up again.

thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
0022.jpg (455.4 KB, 21 views)
Old 08-05-2008, 04:13 PM
TheOtherDave™
Apathy Kills

I don't have the part number, but it is listed as "Cylinder head plug" on page 6-77 of the 1997 factory shop manual.

When inserting the new plug, be sure to align the new cap like the OEM one.. so that the horizontal marks on the face of the plug line up with the part line between the cylinder head and the valve cover.

:: HAN Integra FAQ: If, by some miracle, yours hasn't been stolen... check it out!
Old 08-05-2008, 04:30 PM
Spec R

if i'm not mistaken, the replacement plugs that are now being stocked by honda have a different design than what was released when the engines were still in production. its supposed to reduce/eliminate the oil leak problem.
Old 08-07-2008, 04:53 AM
mdb20
Marky Mark B.

I just had the same problem on my 95 LS. It was taken care of at the dealership, while I was having the timing belt and brake master cylinder replaced. Its a pretty minor job. The part is only like $10-$15 and there is almost no labor. The exhaust camshaft is behind your plug that's leaking. That's why oil sometimes leaks out from behind. Oil leaked on my car behind the headers just like on your car. Since the replacement several months ago, I've had no smell of oil and no visible leaks in the engine bay. This is also sometimes called a "cam plug or camshaft plug".
Old 08-07-2008, 11:27 PM
FooD2000
Still Water

When i did research on this back when, i found that some people still had leaks after a few years with the re-designed cam plug.

Stp or STR i think it is that aftermarket plug never got any bad reviews when i was researching.

Although they are $20-30 bucks per.