Notices

2000 ITR - black smoke, need advice

Old 07-13-2008, 03:58 PM
straightpipe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 ITR - black smoke, need advice

Ive got a 2000 ITR, when i drive in 4000+ rpm in any gear i see black smoke coming out of the exhaust, and especially when the car engages vtec. I use esso premium and mobil 1 synthetic oil. Does any one have any ideals on how i can solve this issue?
Old 07-13-2008, 05:39 PM
AcuraLsSE
ASE Certified

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just did a Yahoo search and found this in less than a minute.

Colored smoke coming from your exhaust is never a good thing. The very best scenario is always a colorless fume coming from your car's exhaust. But if your car exhaust has a 'color' to it, it is most likely signaling to you that something is very wrong, and your car needs attention. How do you know what the colors mean? We will give you the four basic 'bad' colors coming from your exhaust , and what may be causing them.

What white smoke means:

White smoke is normally a cause of anti-freeze burning in the piston cylinder. Normal ways for this to occur are a cracked head, blown head gasket,(warped head), or cracked cylinder block(normally uncommon).

What Black smoke means:

Black smoke is oftentimes a result of too much fuel and not enough air in the combustion chamber. In rare cases, it can be caused by weak fuel pressure causing fuel to 'drip' from injectors rather than 'spray'. It can also be caused by weak fire in the combustion chamber.

What gray smoke means:

Gray smoke is caused by brake fluid. It generally means that your brake master cylinder is bad, and is getting sucked through the vacuum brake hose.

What blue smoke means:

Blue smoke is generally caused by the burning of an oil in the combustion chamber. Normal causes of oil getting into the combustion chamber are weak piston rings, bad valve guides, bad valve seals, or plugged up engines where oil is sucked back through PCV system,usually due to lack of oil changes.

The very best way to avoid bad colors coming from your exhaust is to keep your vehicle maintained. Upkeep of your vehicle is always a smart idea.
Old 07-13-2008, 06:57 PM
2001TEGGSR

Have you checked your oil since you've noticed the problem?

Any mods done to the car?
Old 07-13-2008, 09:12 PM
straightpipe

thanks guys...
only mod is cold air intake. i just had an oil change 2wks ago. i got the black smoke problem, so i will try that liquid u pop into the tank before fill up - hopefully that can clean those nozzles. or unless my fuel pump is not working properly.
Old 07-15-2008, 06:53 PM
Lynxs1981

Dumb question, you check out your air filter lately? Depending on where it is located, it can get dirty pretty quickly, which can cause overfuelling and black smoke.