Notices

Observatons while driving my gsr @ highway speeds

Old 07-10-2008, 11:09 AM
corkss

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Observatons while driving my gsr @ highway speeds

The car feels loose...
my steering wheel has some vibrations...

The car has 100k on it
I'm wondering if I need new shocks/springs maybe? The front wheels look like the car is lowered, the front wheels are slanted, like the camber is off? Maybe I just need new tires?
I was thinking of getting a strut tower brace(the last owner took it off)?
I know I need new front brakes? Can this cause some bad vibes??

I don't like the feel of a sloppy car, what do you guys think?
Thanks in advance
Matt
Old 07-10-2008, 11:48 AM
2001TEGGSR

If the front camber is negative (the wheels are slanted inwards at the top), and you are on stock suspension, I would look into the possibility of sagging springs. Replacing your shocks & springs may help with the issue at hand.

If your brake rotors are warped, you will experience vibrations in steering at higher speeds.

You might also have worn bushings or ball joints. If you are not performing the work yourself, I would suggest getting to a shop immediatly before things get worse.
Old 07-10-2008, 12:03 PM
corkss

I was gonna take the wheels off next monday and take a look at things ,what are some signs of worn balljoints or bushings?
Thanks matt
Old 07-10-2008, 01:11 PM
TheOtherDave™
Apathy Kills

Inspect the joints at the top & bottom of each wheel hub, where they meet the upper & lower wishbones.

You may not see any grease leaking, but check for any vertical free play between the the two. The hub should turn in response to the steering wheel, but it should not rock from top to bottom between the joints.

While you're down there, check the bushings for the steering rack and the tie-rods.

In my GTi (which used a simpler strut front end), both the hub ball joint and the steering rack bushings failed. So when I fed in some steering, the rack would actually shift in the opposite direction about a 1/4 inch.

:: HAN Integra FAQ: If, by some miracle, yours hasn't been stolen... check it out!
Old 07-10-2008, 05:38 PM
Spec R

it wouldnt hurt to get your alignment checked out, but the first thing i would do in your situation is check to see if the wheels are balanced. weights fall off all the time and funny tire wear throws the balance off over time as well.

if they are indeed in balance, your wheels might be bent or cracked (as well as whatever everyone else said)
Old 07-11-2008, 02:41 PM
con

Originally Posted by 2001TEGGSR
If your brake rotors are warped, you will experience vibrations in steering at higher speeds.
Warped rotors only cause vibrations when braking, and pretty much at all speeds. If he's not pressing the brake pedal, no vibration will be felt from the warped rotors.