Notices

'95 Integra Musty AC Smell

Old 07-05-2008, 03:21 PM
mdb20
Marky Mark B.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '95 Integra Musty AC Smell

I've looked into this a little so far but I'm looking for Integra specific information. From what I've read, the problem is probably the evaporator having some sort of mold or standing water on it. The AC does however appear to be draining water on the ground as it should. I don't necessarily think that the drain line is clogged. I guess there is some kind of a spray you can by at auto parts stores to spray on the evaporator and clean off whatever residue may be causing an odor. I've read to turn the AC on high and turn the temp to full hot and let the system run to dry out the evaporator. I tried this just to see if it would work and I didn't have much luck. I've read that this problem is normally caused by using the AC recirculate setting, (which I use frequently) instead of using the normal fresh air AC setting. I tried using the normal AC setting for a few days, to run fresh air through the system, but there has been no significant improvement so far.

I'm sure this is a pretty common problem, so if anybody has any tips or ideas feel free to let me know. I have a Haynes repair manual for the car and it doesn't show a lot in regards to evaporator access or cleaning etc. If anybody has pics or step by step instructions for cleaning that would be great. If this is something that can be taken to a mechanic or shop and done fairly quickly and cheaply, that would be great too, since I'm short on time these days.

Thanks For The Help!
Old 07-07-2008, 11:59 PM
Spec R

yeah, its not exactly easy to remove, but you have to pull out the fan motor and assembly to access the evaporator behind your glove compartment.

in every car that hasnt had its evaporator cleaned/removed, all the leaves and other crap that sneaks past the plastic grids/etc at the base of your windshield gets stuck in the evaporator. theres no way to clean it unless you remove it.

the problem with you leaving it in recirculate (especially when the car sits on a hot day) is that it invites the growth of mold and bad smells. leave it in fresh air mode when it sits.

however, if you put the fan and ac on coldest, fan on highest, fresh-air mode, you can spend a whole can of lysol (its better if its a bacteria killer air freshener like lysol) spraying the vent intakes.

its an okay solution for cars that dont have it so bad, but give it a shot.
Old 07-08-2008, 11:50 AM
ADRONICUS
www.ufc.com

I had this problem before and you know what it ended up being? Freakin rat piss on my battery terminals. I cleaned it up and wa lah, the smell vanished.