Notices

Newbie Question, Oil Change

Old 04-12-2008, 10:10 AM
Ronaldo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie Question, Oil Change

I tried the search function, but it doesn't seem to be working.

I'm a very new Interga owner.

Do I need any special tools to change the oil filter on a 2001 Integra? If so, can you recommend where I get them. Do you need a special wrench to remove the filter?

Can you also recommend a type of oil and filter? Is Mobile 1 synthetic okay to use?

Thanks.
Old 04-12-2008, 10:41 AM
TheOtherDave™
Apathy Kills

Welcome to HAN. :cheers:

A strap type oil wrench is certainly handy for removing the old filter, just be careful not to burn yourself on the exhaust manifold.

As far as filters, I recommend Wix, Purolator or Mobil 1 brand. All use steel springs for the pressure valve and use high quality filter media. Avoid FRAM filters at all costs. There's a link to a fliter comparison in the Integra FAQ.

And yes, synthetic is fine, so long as you match the weight required by Honda... 5W20. Castrol GTX has been the only oil used in my 97 LS and at 120K, consumption is virtually nil.

:: HAN Integra FAQ: If, by some miracle, yours hasn't been stolen... check it out!
Old 04-12-2008, 11:15 AM
Venom62

i work at walmart where all we use is fram filters. they have no pressure valve and really cheap filter media. i compare it to a coffee filter lol. he is right avoid them at all costs.
Old 04-12-2008, 11:23 AM
TheOtherDave™
Apathy Kills

Originally Posted by Venom62
i work at walmart where all we use is fram filters. they have no pressure valve and really cheap filter media. i compare it to a coffee filter lol. he is right avoid them at all costs.
So they've removed the valve altogether? :eh:

When I dissected one for shits & giggles about 7 years ago, they had a cast plastic flap valve with no metal spring behind it. And you're right, the filter media is bonded to a treated cardboard and then glued into a cylindrical form. :ugh:

I have no faith in their ability to control the breakdown of the paper media. Think of the heat and pressure that filter has to endure. All it takes is one glob of paper fiber to clog the oil pickup screen and voila, no oil pressure to the main bearings.

Hardly a risk worth taking IMO. :hsugh:

:: HAN Integra FAQ: If, by some miracle, yours hasn't been stolen... check it out!
Old 04-12-2008, 05:05 PM
Venom62

exactly. i made the mistake of having a fram on my car. the oil is still new so im going to get a wix on it when i have money before it does damage.

just take a look at a fram 9018 filter. its internal with no metal casing so its easy to see the media.

Last edited by Venom62; 04-12-2008 at 07:15 PM. Reason: Damn phone
Old 04-13-2008, 06:39 AM
JoePoonani
Lexus Tech y0!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn, I've been using fram in all of my cars and had no problems. I love the textured part at the end of the filter so you don't have to use a filter wrench to get them off. I've been switching between ACdelco and fram filters because the delco ones are like 3 bucks and Chevrolet sells them next door to my work and the frams are just easier to take off.

Dave, I'm pretty sure the recommended oil weight is 5w-30.
Old 04-13-2008, 07:18 AM
GSRRacer95
Fight On!

I'm still using OEM filters. 5w20 castrol.
Old 04-14-2008, 09:53 AM
92BlancoGSR
Tegger Too

OEM filters, buy in bulk (10 or more) and you can easily get online for $4.50 or less each. I've used Mobil 1 since new and my mechanic has said the engine looks brand new (at 190K, has 210K now). I do the "minor" maintenance items like oil change, trans oil, rotation, brakes, etc. so I've baby'd the vehicle well. Don't cheap out on the critical, and I feel inexpensive, things like oil and filter.

I've figured through the life of my vehicle (15+ years), I may have spent $1200 on oil and filter. This is only perhaps double had I used conventional and cheapie filter.

Enjoy and have fun with your teg.