Notices

matching valvetrain

Old 03-16-2007, 08:17 AM
Topend
scooted

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looked at buying catback exhaust. rsr exmag is the preferred choice. however, throwing down almost 6 bills for 6 hp is kinda.... you know. so I was looking at ctr cams (roughly 5 or 6 bills) and like what, 10+ hp? my question is can the stock b18c1 valve springs and retainers (2000 model) keep up with the cams? ill be fine shifting at 8k if I have more power. and what about the cheep blox stage 1? i think for 5-6 bills i can buy blox stage 1 cams, dual springs, and retainers.

almost forgot. would I need to do any modifications to the fuel system?

Last edited by TheOtherDave™; 03-16-2007 at 04:20 PM. Reason: merged
Old 03-16-2007, 09:52 AM
2001TEGGSR

If exhaust was the only mod your considering, then I would agree with you. Without tunning and other supporting mods, exhaust us just noise. HP gains are minimal at best with a stock engine.

Its best to set a power goal and decide how your going to reach it (forced induction or naturally aspirated). Then plan a setup - find out which parts work well together before you start buying things.

As far as CTR cams go, you can install them with factory valvetrain components, but you probably won't happy with the results. In order to take full advantage of them, you need:
The basic intake, header, and exhaust
Something to tune with - a socketed OBD1 ECU and Conversion Harness
Portflow inner valve springs, or some other upgraded valvetrain
And I would recomend a single stage Intake Manifold - Skunk 2 or Blox

So, spending 600$ on that exhaust might sound like a waste now but if you plan on getting cams or anything else later, it will pay off in the end.
Old 03-16-2007, 10:05 AM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

Originally Posted by Topend
looked at buying catback exhaust. rsr exmag is the preferred choice. however, throwing down almost 6 bills for 6 hp is kinda.... you know. so I was looking at ctr cams (roughly 5 or 6 bills) and like what, 10+ hp? my question is can the stock b18c1 valve springs and retainers (2000 model) keep up with the cams? ill be fine shifting at 8k if I have more power. and what about the cheep blox stage 1? i think for 5-6 bills i can buy blox stage 1 cams, dual springs, and retainers.
$500-600 for CTR cams? Where are you looking? :eh:

I have picked up two pairs of CTR cams for $300 and $350. I got both pairs from forum classifieds.

I am running a stock GSR valvetrain and revving to stock 8100 rpm redline with my CTR cams. To be safe, I would consider upgrading the valve springs but funds don't allow. The OEM retainers are fine. On the cheaper side, you could consider a set of ITR valve springs or getting a set of ITR intake side springs and moving your stock GSR intake springs to the exhaust side.

You will need something to adjust the fuel maps and vtec engagement point to take full potential of the cams. A VAFC should be considered as a minimum because a chipped ECU will be able to have more control over everything.
Old 03-16-2007, 10:44 AM
Snoopy
been there done that

to add to what's already been said, you can use your stock gsr valvetrain with itr/ctr cams if you stick to the stock rev limit. any higher and you'll need at least itr intake springs.

any aftermarket cams whether stage 1 or stage 10 NEEDS new valvetrain imo. the extra $300-400 you save from not buying them will be cheap compared to having to do a rebuild when your pistons say hello to your valves.
Old 03-17-2007, 08:42 AM
Topend
scooted

Originally Posted by Snoopy
to add to what's already been said, you can use your stock gsr valvetrain with itr/ctr cams if you stick to the stock rev limit. any higher and you'll need at least itr intake springs.

any aftermarket cams whether stage 1 or stage 10 NEEDS new valvetrain imo. the extra $300-400 you save from not buying them will be cheap compared to having to do a rebuild when your pistons say hello to your valves.
yeah, good point. Kinda like pay me now or pay me later. Might as well build the topend so i dont have to worry. what parts are best for a NA setup? Might eventually want like 180-190 to the wheels.
Old 03-17-2007, 01:32 PM
Snoopy
been there done that

supertech springs and retainers and blox b's
Old 03-18-2007, 09:09 AM
Topend
scooted

are cam gears needed? im also under the impression that B-series VTEC motors don't use valve spring seats. is this true? Just springs and retainers?

Last edited by Topend; 03-18-2007 at 09:21 AM.
Old 03-18-2007, 09:09 AM
Snoopy
been there done that

they will help in tuning
Old 03-18-2007, 11:29 AM
2001TEGGSR

Originally Posted by Topend
are cam gears needed? im also under the impression that B-series VTEC motors don't use valve spring seats. is this true? Just springs and retainers?
Yes they do have spring seats, they look similar to the snap fit retainers. Theres no reason to use anything other than OEM, just reuse the seats you have.

I vouch for Supertech, they have a snap fit design that seems to prolong the premature wear associated with titanium retainers. I've only put about 3k on my motor since the rebuild, but no wear as of yet.
Old 03-18-2007, 09:27 PM
redGSRguy

I had ctr cams in my car with stock rev limit for a while. Then I got tired of it and wanted something bigger. Might as well just save up and splurge rather than go through isntalling cams twice!

I don't think the RS*R will even give you 6hp lol those are some optimistic estimates you have! I have one and am thinking of getting rid of it for a SMSP piece. The exmag has a bottle neck and isn't optimal once you build your motor!

For mild mods you won't have to touch your fuel system but as you get deeper into the mods you may have to look at new injectors or a new fuel pump and regulator.