Notices

Electrical Going haywire!!!!! HELP!!!

Old 02-01-2006, 08:18 AM
used2bedomestic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrical Going haywire!!!!! HELP!!!

Okay, My alternator recetnly went bad so I replaced it with a new one. I also replaced my battery. I replaced all the grounds and checked all the fuses but I am still having problems.
First, my speedo no longer works. It is either stuck at 140mph or 60 mph even when parked. Also, while driving and applying the brakes, all the dash lights go on and my lights shut off. The car still runs fine and it is a manual.
I drive a 92 LS. My question is would a VSS ( Vehicle Speed Sensor) cause all these problems? I am wondering if it is something else like another sensor or is it the cluster itself? Please help as I am without a ride until it is fixed. Thanks
Old 02-01-2006, 02:30 PM
TheOtherDave™
Apathy Kills

The VSS would likely cause the erratic speedometer reading, but it would not cause the problems with lighting malfunctions under braking. :thinking:

It sounds like this car has serious wiring problems.
* How long have you had the car?
* If you purchased it after Hurricane Katrina, did you run a check on the VIN through CarFax?

At first glimpse, the lighting problems sounds like the product of flood damage to me. h:

:: HAN Integra FAQ: If, by some miracle, yours hasn't been stolen... check it out!
Old 02-02-2006, 10:08 AM
used2bedomestic

No, I'm sorry I wasn't exactly clear. I meant to say that while driving during the day, without the headlights on, the dash warning lights all ullimsinate including the seat belt audio warning (beeping) when I either step on the brake or depress the clutch pedal.
I came home from work today and had gone through all of the fuses again. None of them are blown. So I think I can look up under the dash by the pedals and see if there is wire exposed or loose relay? I am also pulling my main relay under the dash and testing it.
I mentioned my speedo cable busted also and I wonder if that has anything to do with the lights
Old 02-02-2006, 03:46 PM
VPUPPY

sounds like a bad ground to me.
Old 02-05-2006, 10:48 AM
hachacker5024

if i were you i would recheck you grounds and if they check out run the ground directly to the NEG battery terminal this way you get the best ground just make a jumper to reach the battery
Old 02-05-2006, 05:39 PM
used2bedomestic

I got it working! It was bad grounds! All that hassle for bad grounds! Oh well, I guess it was worth the $10.00 in wire and connectors! Thanks for the tips!