Notices

• Integra Tech: [Read and post your basic questions here.]

Old 08-16-2005, 04:37 PM
TheOtherDave™
Apathy Kills

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default • Integra Tech: [Read and post your basic questions here.]

[<Integra Tech Thread: BASIC MAINTENANCE]
This thread is dedicated for basic Integra maintenance questions, such as oil grades and filters, timing belt and clutch replacements, even paint maintenance.

If it has to do with repairing or maintaining an Integra, your questions are welcome here.

In an effort to gather up all the common posts into one concise thread, these "ITT" threads will be tightly managed so they remain on topic.*

In other words, keep on topic and use Private Messaging when appropriate.

*Off-topic posts are subject to deletion as per the HAN Terms of Service.

:: HAN Integra FAQ: If, by some miracle, yours hasn't been stolen... check it out!

Last edited by TheOtherDave™; 09-01-2007 at 11:52 AM.
Old 08-16-2005, 04:46 PM
stoffius
i like lamp

Default Paint & Wax

I recently spoke w/ the owner of Zaino who gave me some useful advice regarding paint. Before you attempt to wax your car, get it under some florescent lights to take a look at any swirl marks and scratches. If they show under that light, you won't be able to fix it. However, if they only show in the sun, then you'll be alright. The absolute best product to use for swirl marks and scratches is 3M Scratch Remover. It isn't oil based like Meguiars and similiar products which just hide them. 3M is a much more abrasive product which will work better in blending and smoothing out such marks. It is recommended to use an orbital buffer to get the best results. If you don't have one, you might could try renting one at either Home Depot or Advance Auto Parts. **don't know if this belongs in this thread, but it's something I'm glad I now know.
Old 08-17-2005, 10:58 AM
raihan.f1

I need to replace the main relay for my 94 Integra -LS. Can anyone give me the instructions? Do I disconnect the battery first?
thanks,
R
Old 08-17-2005, 08:02 PM
Hemsky01

Default 1991 Acura Integra GS

I would really appreciate some help or direction on a couple of things. First, I would like to change transmission oil/fluid and I'm wondering how to go about it. Second, I would like to change the bulb on the driver side fog light (right beside the main headlight. I'm not sure if I need to buy the whole contraption or if can just buy a bulb and I'm also not sure how to get at the bulb. The third question is I want to replace the antenna on the car. I am just buying an ordinary antenna and I know I need to take the plastic panels out from the trunk but when I do this I still can not seem to get at the antenna. Any help with these questions would be greatly appreciated. I am a new poster and not very mechanically inclined so any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-18-2005, 08:11 AM
TheOtherDave™
Apathy Kills

Originally Posted by raihan.f1
I need to replace the main relay for my 94 Integra -LS. Can anyone give me the instructions? Do I disconnect the battery first?
thanks,
R
The main relay is mounted in the engine compartment fuse panel, just in front of the battery. It's the highest rated relay in the car, so by using the diagram printed on the lid of the fuse panel, you should be able to locate it fairly easily.

And yes, to avoid the possbility of electrical shock, disconnect the negative terminal of the battery whenever you're working on the car's electrical system.

As far as removing the relay... think of it like a four-pronged fuse. Pull the dead one out, plug the new one in.

:: HAN Integra FAQ: If, by some miracle, yours hasn't been stolen... check it out!
Old 08-18-2005, 08:27 AM
TheOtherDave™
Apathy Kills

Originally Posted by Hemsky01
I would really appreciate some help or direction on a couple of things. First, I would like to change transmission oil/fluid and I'm wondering how to go about it. Second, I would like to change the bulb on the driver side fog light (right beside the main headlight. I'm not sure if I need to buy the whole contraption or if can just buy a bulb and I'm also not sure how to get at the bulb. The third question is I want to replace the antenna on the car. I am just buying an ordinary antenna and I know I need to take the plastic panels out from the trunk but when I do this I still can not seem to get at the antenna. Any help with these questions would be greatly appreciated. I am a new poster and not very mechanically inclined so any help would be greatly appreciated.
1) Transmission fluid: Filling the trans on an Integra is a little tricky. On the side of the transmission case is a large threaded plug with a hexagonal head on the outside face. The hex-head faces are fairly slim, so you need a very tight fitting end-wrench to unscrew the plug. Furthermore, the transmission case deals with a lot of heat, so removing the drain plug may be a bit of pain.

Once you get the plug off, though.. the rest is easy. Simply add HONDA Manual Transmission fluid (for manual trans, obviously) until the level of fluid is at the bottom of the plug hole. If the fluid that's in there is particularly gritty, it's best to change it.

---
2) Foglights: I am certain that you can replace the bulb independent of the headlight itself. If the radiator is blocking your access to the backside of the headlight, you'll probably need to remove the lamp to access the foglamp socket.

Match the correct type and wattage of bulb, replace, reinstall.
---
3) Antenna: I'm going to refer that question on to someone better aquainted with the interior of the second-gen Integra.

Old 08-18-2005, 07:54 PM
rickster5572

the gears are hard to shift. just changed master cylinder, and slave cylinder.please help
Old 08-18-2005, 09:53 PM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

Originally Posted by Hemsky01
I found an easier way to fill the tranny up. Right next to the speed sensor on the top of the tranny, there is a little metal tube with a rubber cap on it. This leads straight to the tranny. I connect a hose to it that is the same diameter as the PCV hose and then tape a funnel to it. Just pour the fluid into the funnel until you hear the dripping of it coming out of the filler hole.

About the antenna, you cannot access the antenna from inside the trunk. You need to remove that metal cap at the base of the antenna with either a pair of pliers or with the special tool from Honda. Then just pull once the radio is turned on.

Originally Posted by rickster5572
the gears are hard to shift. just changed master cylinder, and slave cylinder.please help
Have you completely bled the hydraulic system? How old is the clutch? When was the last time the tranny fluid was replaced?
Old 08-19-2005, 08:13 PM
Hemsky01

Thanks a lot for all your help
Old 08-19-2005, 08:32 PM
Hemsky01

Default Further to the Antenna Question

I got someone to replace the power antenna with just a regular rubber one. I broke it off this last winter. Are you saying that all I have to do is unscrew the antenna from the outside and I will be able pull the piece inside the car through the hole??? I would think you would have to get at it from somewhere else but I hope I'm wrong. It is a 1991 Acura Integra GS.