Notices

Shark Attack II Installation Question

Old 03-08-2005, 05:28 AM
eleveill
Taket

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Antenna Question (Shark Attack II)

I just got my Shark Attack II antenna from LoCustom.com and I have a question with the wiring...

Shark Attack II Wires:
Red wire (I believe it's the power)
Black Cable (I believe it's the antenna)

My Car Wires from 97 Integra GS
One plastic Adapter containing 3 wires: Red, Green, and Black (I believe one of them is the power)
Black Cable (I believe it's the antenna)

So I need to know which of these three wires is the 12V for power. Once I know, I believe all I have to do is to solder the red wire from the Shark Attack II antenna with that wire and connect the two thick black cables together. Am I right???

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-08-2005, 11:57 AM
eleveill
Taket

Anybody?
Old 03-08-2005, 12:04 PM
DiAbLo3785
Working on project CRX Si

this is a good question. i need to know the answer too cause i ordered the same antenna from the same place. how long did it take for you to get yours?
Old 03-08-2005, 12:29 PM
eleveill
Taket

It took 6 'working' days to get it. Not bad at all consideing I live in Ontario, Canada.

Note: It's Really F'n cold out here... got about 20cm of slow last night!!! Me and my Teg can't wait for the summer!!!
Old 03-08-2005, 05:23 PM
chrisrbts98gs
Bored Enthusiast

Hey man i just installed the Shark Attack II on my GS, but its a 98 so i had a different wire setup, i think mine was like a red, black, and a black with a white line down it. I can't remember which wire i used, but what i did was just use an ohm meter to find out which one was power. If you don't have an ohm meter just im me at chrisrbts91 on AIM and i will get look for you.

But as for the thick black wire that is the antenna. All you have to do is unplug the old thick wire and plug it directly into the new antenna. There is no need for the new antenna cable.

Just to let you know, I believe you got the Shark Attack II with the antenna booster which in my opinion actually got better reception than the stock antenna. I know the original Shark Attack was much worse than stock.
Old 03-08-2005, 08:30 PM
ADRONICUS
www.ufc.com

To elaborate further. I installed this on my car about 9 months ago. A small pain in the ass I might add. My wires were Red, black and black. Red = power Black = the antenna wire to your factory connection and black again for = ground, yours seems to be green and I don't see why that would not work. I have my power hooked up to my amp. got it grounded from there as well and the antenna fitted to the stock harness.And to tell you the truth, the reception is not all that great. So maybe I hooked it up wrong??? But this is how I did it.
Old 03-09-2005, 12:00 AM
tommy1223

is it better than OEM or is it worse? i've heard that it is better reception.
Old 03-09-2005, 07:24 AM
eleveill
Taket

How can you tell whether it's the first or second version of the Shark Attack II ?

My reception is not nearly as good as with the stock antenna and that's why I'm questionning the wiring on the first place...

chrisrbts98gs: Could you tell me exactly which one of the 3 wires is the 12V? Did you connected the black wire with no white (i.e. ground) somewhere?

chrisrbts98gs: I just e-mailed the guy and asked which version of the Shark Attack II antenna I sent me. I paid 30 USD from LoCustom.com and the ad says the antenna comes with a build-in AMP.

centerforce99: Can you be more clear about the connection you made: "My wires were Red, black and black. Red = power Black = the antenna wire to your factory connection and black again for = ground"

Note: I'm getting the same reception whether the antenna (The black thick cable) is connected or not. Something has to be connected wrong!!!
Old 03-09-2005, 05:29 PM
chrisrbts98gs
Bored Enthusiast

First of all, you have the shark attack II with the antenna booster (same one as i do). I was just making sure you had the Shark Attack II, because the Shark Attack (hence the first one without the II, not trying to be a jerk) doesn't have a booster and gets horrible reception.

As for the reason that the reception is not any better right now even with the antenna cable (thick black cable) plugged in is because you never gave power to the antenna booster (the whole red wire, black wire, green wire situation).

I do rememeber that it was not the red wire that i connected to the antenna. I am know that if was one of the black wires (black or black/white) i just can't remember which one.

Another precaution that i took was to take out the radio fuse before i soldered the two wires together. I would also recommend to put a heat shrink tube around the connection or wrap it in electrical tape for safety reason. I prefer the heat shrink because in my opinion it looks both cleaner and more professional (not that many people want to pull out the back seats and two sides of paneling just to look at a wire connection lol, but you should always do everything the right way).

eleveil: It is late tonight so i don't want to start tearing my car apart to look at the wiring, but if you can wait until Friday or Saturday i will check the wiring for you and post pictures of everything so that you can make sure that you install it properly. I would do it tomorrow, but i am just a high school kid and i have to work tomorrow. Sorry for taking so long.

NOTE: the install guide on locustom.com is not for the Shark Attack II, it is actually for S2000 kit, which i am pretty sure they no longer sell. So i might as well make my own to post on Honda-Acura because i think it is a really good, CHEAP mod that makes the car look better.

tommy1223 is it better than OEM or is it worse? i've heard that it is better reception.
My reception with the antenna booster is better than OEM. Certain radio stations that I was barely able to get with the OEM i was able to get clear with the Shark Attack II, but ironically i never listen to the radio. My OEM antenna broke in the upright position so instead of paying around $100 for the replacement, which i thought looked stupid anyways, i paid the $30 with shipping for the Lo Custom Shark Attack II.
Old 03-10-2005, 02:18 PM
eleveill
Taket

Thanks for all the great tips. I will wait for your POST before I do anything else. Take your time, I'm not in a rush...

Now, since I already tried connecting the following:
1) My red wire to the Shark Attack II AMP => Results: Reception not so good...
2) My green&yellow wire to the Shark Attack II AMP => Results: Reception not so good...

I'm thinking it might be the black wire that needs to be connected to the Shark Attack II AMP!!! (To me, black means ground...anyway... I will wait for your POST or buy a multimeter and find out which one of the 3 is power...)