Notices

Help with cylinder head...bent valves?

Old 03-06-2005, 06:05 PM
MaxOctane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with cylinder head...bent valves?

my timing belt in my 91 integra LS broke and I was told my valves would be all bent up. I took the head off but the valves all look just fine. The pistons are notched, which I thought was to keep the pistons from hitting the valves??? Is it possible that the valves are not bent? Would I be able to tell if the valves are bent? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 03-06-2005, 06:48 PM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

There is no way to find out unless you take the valves out and see or you push the valve through it's whole range of motion to confirm there is no binding. The grooves in the piston don't really help much because the piston still comes extremely close to the valve at TDC. They add a little room but since Honda motors have such tight valve to piston clearances, a snapped timing belt almost guarantees bent valves.
Old 03-07-2005, 06:12 AM
teg92
WHAT OK YEAH!

take the valves out and take a look at them. Did the timing belt brake while you were driving?
Old 03-07-2005, 10:33 AM
ISP James
DAMIMRED

ive had two broken t-belt g2 parts cars and in neither case was there so much as 1 bent valve. rather than that the valves all out and check em, if there is valve damage you can usually tell by removing the cams and seeing if A. none of the springs/retainers look cockeyed and B. there is no damage to the inside of the cyclinder head from the springs "jumping" and hitting it. if you are unsure, then take them out and have a look.