Notices

Sudden "jolts" when driving

Old 03-05-2005, 12:56 PM
crishchun

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sudden "jolts" when driving

Hello. Ok I'd like to first state that I'm not much of a car buff and I'm still learning how cars work and stuff, especially mine. About two weeks ago my '98 GSR died on me on the highway. While I was shifting from 2nd to 3rd around 7k I heard a popping sound from my exhaust. I was in the middle lane of a three-lane highway and it just died right there. The engine turned right off and the dash lights went on. Luckily no one was on the right lane so I was able to pull over to the shoulder. I tried to start it again. It was cranking but wasn't turning over. Popping sounds from my exhaust (Apex N1, btw) could be heard. Anyway, I had it towed to my house and the next morning I had a look at it.

I started with the spark plugs and changed them. They were due for replacement anyway. Next I opened up the distributor cap and low and behold there was the problem. A broken rotor. Can this happen during driving? I bought a new rotor from Acura and swapped it in. It starts fine and I test drove it around the block. Now I'm experiencing sudden random "jolts" when shifting.. also when cruising. I don't really know how to describe it. And when in neutral, my revs aren't smooth. I guess I didn't connect the spark plug wires correctly? I removed them from the cap but now can't remember how they go in. Is there a diagram online or something?

Also my check engine and ABS lights are on. I used the paper-clip method and CEL is throwing code 90 (Evaporative Emission Control System leak detected in the fuel tank area) while ABS is throwing code 15 wheel senor (open/short to body ground/short to power) RR. What should I do? Thanks for all your help!
Old 03-13-2005, 07:43 AM
ACK94
Life is FUN!!!!!

dont know what to tell ya?? I would say ask Acura??? If you dont know what your doing?? sorry for the little help!!
Old 03-13-2005, 09:20 AM
dubcac
I

For the code 90, make sure your gas cap is on tight. Then reset your ECU, and see if the codes come on again.

As far as the rough running, check your firing order on the distributor again and make sure it is correct. If it is not, the car will run and idle terribly.
Old 03-13-2005, 11:14 AM
Bryan_M

get a helm's/hayne's manual for your car. they're always a huge help for stuff like this. it'll have the firing order in there, and you should definitely check that first thing like Dub said.
Old 03-13-2005, 05:03 PM
civicandtegra

all i have to say is y u go up the rpm that high search when your engine peaks and shift then, when u go that high and passed the peak your engine drops off in power so u are just askin for engine damage and if your still new wait a lil bit before u push it or u gonna get a hefty bill from your mechanic just take it easy
Old 03-13-2005, 05:15 PM
R_Squared
LEVEL UP

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by civicandtegra
all i have to say is y u go up the rpm that high search when your engine peaks and shift then, when u go that high and passed the peak your engine drops off in power
I would say that for a '98 GSR he definitely hadn't passed his engine's peak output, but rather, was right in the powerband. He should be making power well up to 7600 rpm, when the B18C1 makes peak hp (stock).