Notices

turbo question

Old 03-03-2005, 09:36 PM
stratguitarist
Missing my honda...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turbo question

yo everyone,
went by my auto body shop tonight to drop off my type R wing to be resprayed(first time it rained and ruined the paint job) and kevin(auto body guy) told me he can get me a turbo kit with everything i need except a downpipe,oil return lines, and a blow off valve. he knows this guy that gets just basic kits with like a t4 turbo and dsm intercooler. its not a big deal and its just for a easy 50 hp bolt on. my question for you guys is do u think it is safe? it is only run at sock boost levels that the turbo came off of and the wastegate is internal. i also dont need a boost controler cause as i said its run at stock boost levels. i figure i can get this now cause its cheap, hes only is asking $100 for it. i have comptech header and intake w/icebox on my car now that i can sell to save for a drag kit. oh by the way the turbo has no shaft play at all. thanks in advance
josh
Old 03-03-2005, 09:42 PM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

Sounds too good to be true...but if you say it has no shaft play, I guess it is worthwhile. Any idea what kind of turbo it is?

As long as you know what you are getting into, I would go for it. Even if you don't use the turbo, you could always sell it and make a little profit.
Old 03-03-2005, 09:53 PM
stratguitarist
Missing my honda...

its a t4 turbo. i thought it sounded to good to be true also but kevin knows his shit and i trust him. i only got 27,000 miles on my car(its an 01 gsr) and i didnt want to mess it up. kevin was tellin me tonight that if something happens with the turbo it wont hurt my engine unless there is a lack of oil because the turbo isnt gonna see past like 4 psi.
Old 03-03-2005, 09:54 PM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

4 psi??? What's the point then?

If my 96 GSR with stock internals and 135k on the odometer can handle 8 psi of boost daily driven, I think yours can too.
Old 03-03-2005, 10:04 PM
stratguitarist
Missing my honda...

well like i said its not a big deal at all. its just ment for the guy that wants to gain some easy hp for his car. ill just be using it as a tempory set up until i can get a drag kit. as far as the psi itll run at i dont think a t4 off of a stock car(whichever make/model the t4 was used on) is set at 8psi. i know that the integra can handle 8psi no problem on stock internals. if i can get a boost controller and change it i will but right now im just focusing on the safty of the kit. like i said i dont wanna damage my engine.
Old 03-03-2005, 10:16 PM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

Originally Posted by stratguitarist
well like i said its not a big deal at all. its just ment for the guy that wants to gain some easy hp for his car. ill just be using it as a tempory set up until i can get a drag kit. as far as the psi itll run at i dont think a t4 off of a stock car(whichever make/model the t4 was used on) is set at 8psi. i know that the integra can handle 8psi no problem on stock internals. if i can get a boost controller and change it i will but right now im just focusing on the safty of the kit. like i said i dont wanna damage my engine.
True, true. If you are just using it as a temporary turbo for the drag kit, I wouldn't even bother. Either buy one or the other. The drag kit is good except for the lame fuel management that they include. I would use the turbo that you are being offered to build a custom turbo kit for much cheaper with probably better HP gains. And also, you will have to buy many things for the turbo you are being offered, so if you do decide to buy the drag kit down the road, you will be out several hundred dollars. Build a kit or buy a kit.
Old 03-03-2005, 10:22 PM
stratguitarist
Missing my honda...

Originally Posted by Shmoo
TAnd also, you will have to buy many things for the turbo you are being offered, so if you do decide to buy the drag kit down the road, you will be out several hundred dollars.
very true.
Old 03-04-2005, 04:34 AM
newgsrdriver

The Drag kit and your custom kit will probably be completely UN-interchangeable.

Meaning you will need a new downpipe, partially new piping (especially if running a DSM SMIC)...you would need the whole drag kit as if that custom kit was never on your car.

I wouldnt waste my time personally. Youre going to need some sort of fuel management too...why go through the hassle of getting this setup running right only to have a completely different one in the near future.

If you want to stick with this kit, make good power with it and keep it that way, I would go for it. Find out the EXACT componenets of the kit, and we'll tell you what else you need to get it right.

Also Im assuming it isnt a straight T4, he probably means T3, judging by the sound of the kit.

Youve got a lot to find out. You say its run at "stock" boost levels. Well that depends on what turbo this is and what the wastegates "stock" boost is. 7, 11, 14...who knows. Depends on what we're dealing with here.
Old 03-04-2005, 06:46 PM
stratguitarist
Missing my honda...

Originally Posted by newgsrdriver
The Drag kit and your custom kit will probably be completely UN-interchangeable.
yeah man i know this thats why its a kit. it comes with everything you need. a $3,000 kit will obviously not work with a $100 setup that came off a DSM.
Old 03-05-2005, 06:08 AM
newgsrdriver

Not necessarily. Dont be so quick to assume.

All a "kit" is is an already pieced together "custom" turbo kit. You can directly swap an Inline Pro manifold in a RevHard "kit" without any issues.

You can NOT swap an Inline Pro manifold in a Drag "kit". The downpipe will not line up correctly.

My Drag charge piping did not fit with my Inline Pro manifold, but it might fit just fine with an SFP manifold.

Like I said, we need to know every part in the setup to know if its a) a good deal and b) a possibility that you wont need a Drag kit and its good enough to build upon.

All I was saying was that if you buy this kit, be prepared to remove it in the future if it doesnt satisfy your needs, as most likely you would not be able to reuse most of the parts in a partial Drag kit. If you were running an FMIC for example, chances are you could reuse at least 3/4 of that piping. Depending on the turbo, you might be able to reuse that. As with the manifold. Then you wouldnt have to get a brand new full kit.

We need to know every component in the kit to give you advice. "this dude knows his shit. a t4 turbo and dsm intercooler" aint gonna cut it.

And FYI most of these "kits" dont come with everything you "need".