Notices

fuel requirements for gsr?

Old 03-01-2005, 10:23 AM
96gsintegra

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuel requirements for gsr?

i recently found a gsr ill probably buy. ill end up selling my gs which isnt a problem, but i do have a question. some places ive looked say the gsr "requires" premium fuel. is this for optimum performance, or will it just lose a few horsepower with the lesser grade gas?
Old 03-01-2005, 10:56 AM
Tobra

Both are true. Timing would be retarded with lower octane fuel, which would degrade performance and potentially damage the engine.
Old 03-01-2005, 11:25 AM
hj788

GSR engine is 10:1 compression ratio so I would use premium. In a vehicle driven 12,000 miles a year that averages 14 mpg, you're only looking at $171 additional fuel cost annually. The Integra, of course, gets much more than 14mpg. I think the whole premium fuel thing is blown out of proportion as far as causing engine damage. Take this quote from Porsche, for example:

All Porsche engines are designed for premium, too, but it's not available everywhere. "Our cars must be able to drive all over the world, and so we are able to run on regular," says Jakob Neusser, director of powertrain development at Porsche's research and development center in Weissach, Germany. "You don't have to feel that a mechanical problem or anything else will happen" using regular gas, even in the highest-performance, regular-production Porsches.
Old 03-01-2005, 12:10 PM
TheOtherDave™
Apathy Kills

Use premium whenever possible. I don't know why this question keeps coming up. The owner's manual specifically states that premium fuel is required. Why second-guess the manufacturer?

When you run a lower octane gasoline, the ECU will retard ignition timing, reducing power output. Also, you run the risk of engine "knock" or detonation, which will damage piston rings and even connecting rod bearings if allowed to continue.

And sorry if I'm blunt, but that quote from Neusser is pointless. We aren't driving Porsches here. h:

:: HAN Integra FAQ: If, by some miracle, yours hasn't been stolen... check it out!

Last edited by TheOtherDave™; 03-01-2005 at 12:15 PM.
Old 03-01-2005, 12:25 PM
hj788

No we're not, unfortunately. I was just going on the idea that octane requirements are driven by the compression ratio of the motor and if a Porsche motor with a higher compression ratio than a GSR can run on regular octane without damage, so can a GSR. I've seen some posts where people freak out because they accidently put a few gallons of 87 octane in their GSR and they think their engine will be damaged as a result. But anyways, use premium.
Old 03-01-2005, 01:46 PM
96gsintegra

thanks for the replies... ill probably end up just paying the extra money for it