Notices

Axle back for 99 GSR.

Old 02-17-2005, 03:35 PM
ADRONICUS
www.ufc.com

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Axle back for 99 GSR.

As some may know my car was put back to complete stock due to a CARB violation I had to go the CA Referree station for. Anyways, I put my CAI back on but that is all I have done. I don't want to do the whole exhaust again, that one bolt on the top that joins the exhaust and the cat is a pain in the ass. I just want an axle back to give it some tone and a little more performance. Does anyone know of any good ones, or where to find one?
Old 02-17-2005, 03:56 PM
dubcac
I

Unless you go catback, you won't get any performance...just a bottleneck. However, I believe the Apex'i N1 comes in an axleback or at least it used to, Spoon N1, OEM ITR. I'm sure there are some people selling just the axle back to their exhausts on ebay/partstrader.
Old 02-18-2005, 03:05 PM
ADRONICUS
www.ufc.com

Originally Posted by Master Yodub
Unless you go catback, you won't get any performance...just a bottleneck. However, I believe the Apex'i N1 comes in an axleback or at least it used to, Spoon N1, OEM ITR. I'm sure there are some people selling just the axle back to their exhausts on ebay/partstrader.
When you say bottleneck what do you mean, I am unfamiliar w/that term. Small to big? or Big to small? I bolted my stock muffler up to 2 1/2 inch piping once to quiet it down, it worked all right and I felt like I had a stock exhaust again. So I thought If I swapped the stock muffler that would make most of the difference. I read an article once from Stillen and they had this whole theory of the muffler being the biggest plug as opposed to te piping. Isn't the stock gsr piping already 2 1/4? And I heard mandrel bent is only beneficial to forced induction, is this true?
Old 02-18-2005, 04:53 PM
dubcac
I

Stock piping is not 2.25". What I refer to when I say bottleneck, is that you're still going to have OEM size exhaust piping which is small and restrictive, and then a 2.25" rear section. The OEM B pipe will restrict your flow enough that the rear section won't help as much as a full catback. Mandrel bending is effective to any aftermarket exhaust...not just for forced induction.
Old 02-18-2005, 08:03 PM
ADRONICUS
www.ufc.com

Thanks man...I guess I'll just have buy a catback then, **** it...
Old 02-18-2005, 09:36 PM
dubcac
I

What'd you do with your old exhaust?
Old 02-18-2005, 11:17 PM
96GrnGSR

Someone in San Gabriel Recycler is selling their Apex N1 axle-back for $105... I would jump on that one but i'm getting a GReddy Evo2 from a hook up @ GReddy in Irvine...
Old 02-19-2005, 10:34 PM
ADRONICUS
www.ufc.com

Originally Posted by Master Yodub
What'd you do with your old exhaust?
As you can immagine that whole smog thing put me in a frenzy trying to get my car passable. Though I was pretty sure the exhaust had nothing to do with it I took it off to rule out any gremlins, well when I did I was so pissed off at the whole thing I placed the piping against a wall and gave it a mad stomp. I bent it pretty bad. I'm a pretty big guy and my pissed off 250lb frame took out some mad aggression...then I proceeded to put my stock catback on.