Notices

Danger putting 23mm rear sway bay in NON-Type R Teg??

Old 02-16-2005, 05:25 AM
emspilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Danger putting 22mm rear sway bay in NON-Type R Teg??

I have a 95 Integra SE. Am I risking damage to the mounts if I install a 22mm Type R rear sway bar in place of the stock bar? No other mods have been done to the suspension yet. I have heard that the stiffness of the Type R bar can damage and/or rip the mouting points. Is this true?
Old 02-16-2005, 06:13 AM
carta79
Life after death

It's called subframe tear out, and yes it can happen. That's why people use reinforcement kits (ex.Beaks kit).

I sprung for the Comptech adjustable sway/tie bar to avoid the hassle altogether. Even this setup has been somewhat of a pain to control under heavy cornering.
Old 02-16-2005, 06:15 AM
Solracer
NASA-VA Hyper-Announcer

Why do you want ot put a large sway bar on the rear of your car? Is this a street driving car? If so,don't do it, you will make your car more prone to snap oversteer as the car will become tailhappy if you are not carfull add into the fact that I have seen plenty of pictures of subframe tearout even with reinforcment kits, I think this is an ugprade that is not worth it for a car that is just going to be street driving, soft spring rates and a big sway will lead to sub frame tear out.
Old 02-16-2005, 07:26 AM
emspilot

Thanks for the input guys. Just confirming my suspicions...
Old 02-16-2005, 09:17 AM
LT
The deer had to die!

you know, i've never experienced unpredicted, uncontrollable snap-oversteer.

but i'm sure my spring rates help with that.
Old 02-16-2005, 10:17 AM
white_n_slow
it's my D in a B

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

beaks kit and the bsq kit dramatically reduce the risk of tearout. And if acura sells a car in the USA with a 22mm rear sway combined with sub-200lb/in springs, beleive me, snap oversteer is not an issue.

I have a 22mm rear bar, and 400lb rear springs, and can still control oversteer just fine. I consider the itr rear bar one of hte best bang/$ suspension modifications you can do.
Old 02-16-2005, 10:23 AM
LT
The deer had to die!

Originally Posted by white_n_slow
beaks kit and the bsq kit dramatically reduce the risk of tearout. And if acura sells a car in the USA with a 22mm rear sway combined with sub-200lb/in springs, beleive me, snap oversteer is not an issue.

I have a 22mm rear bar, and 400lb rear springs, and can still control oversteer just fine. I consider the itr rear bar one of hte best bang/$ suspension modifications you can do.
you're god damn right its a great mod!
Old 02-16-2005, 12:15 PM
Epoch
CHRISTMASTIME IN IRAQ

Originally Posted by Solracer
Why do you want ot put a large sway bar on the rear of your car? Is this a street driving car? If so,don't do it, you will make your car more prone to snap oversteer as the car will become tailhappy if you are not carfull add into the fact that I have seen plenty of pictures of subframe tearout even with reinforcment kits, I think this is an ugprade that is not worth it for a car that is just going to be street driving, soft spring rates and a big sway will lead to sub frame tear out.

There is snap oversteer, but it's the most controlled kind I've ever felt in a car.... I mean, I haven't driven superpowered RWD cars, but my integra, with the comptech kit at the highest stiffness, is very predictable and calm. Of course, this is partnered with Apex'i N1 coilovers (10kg/mm f and 5 kg/mm r), so the springs balance this out a lot.
Old 02-16-2005, 12:50 PM
Solracer
NASA-VA Hyper-Announcer

Originally Posted by white_n_slow
And how many cars did they do that on? 1 the type-r which is a differnt beast than most integra's. Cars are safe when they understeer, that is why most cars from the factory come with no or a smal rear sway bar, they are setup to understeer when overdriven so they push instead of sping. Slap a big sway on the back and no you have made the cars rear rotate better making the car more nimble and loose, and a lot easier to get into a tank slapper situation if you are not carefull or used to driving the car like that. Veru few honda/acuras come from the factory that will oversteer easily S2000 and the Type-R are the only ones I can think of.
Old 02-16-2005, 12:52 PM
Solracer
NASA-VA Hyper-Announcer

Originally Posted by Epoch
highest stiffness, is very predictable and calm. Of course, this is partnered with Apex'i N1 coilovers (10kg/mm f and 5 kg/mm r), so the springs balance this out a lot.
Yep that is correct, switch thoose spring rates and see what happens, which if I was auto-xing or racing on a road course that is exactaly what I would do.