Notices

Tec-nique.

Old 02-15-2005, 08:36 PM
Ninj4r
Acura Nubbins

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tec-nique.

Alright, I've a question for you all, because, as unproud of it as I am, my GS-R is the first standard I've ever driven regularly.... so I'm not exactly Mr.Know-it-all.... actually, I'm not Mr.Know-it-all with anything vehicle related, which is why i'm here learning from all of you guys! :thanks:

My question is this... from a dead stop... What's the best way to get maximum acceleration? If someone could write a step-by-step for idiots, I'd appreciate it... (i.e. "Rev to 3k, and ease the clutch, or just let the clutch go all together, so you peel out a little... and then floor it to ____RPM, Shift, proceed.)

I can shift and stuff fine obviously, it's just from a dead start, I dun think I'm slamming as well as I ought to be, How long do you guys usually stay in 1st/2nd gear??

Also, 2nd gear feels like it throws you back in your seat more than any other gear on my car... that sound right??
Thanks for all of your help guys!
Old 02-15-2005, 08:44 PM
EviLLLLSiNz
n00b

well first of all its an inline 4 engine so you dont have enuf torque to accelerate from a dead stop when compared to a v6 or v8. the only way that you can really accel that fast is launching your car.... as you probably know, the gsr's powerband is from about 6000-8000rpms. gsrs have really good high end power. hope this helped
Old 02-15-2005, 08:47 PM
Ninj4r
Acura Nubbins

Indeed... i'm just looking for the best way to achieve the fastest accelleration I can.
Old 02-15-2005, 08:58 PM
Snoopy
been there done that

every car and driver is different. depending on how good your tires and suspension are, here are a few tips i've used when practicing launching:

- hold the rpms at 4k or wherever, try different spots and see what feels best
- feather the clutch, dont just drop it, feather the gas until you get traction

practice makes perfect
Old 02-15-2005, 09:04 PM
Ninj4r
Acura Nubbins

hah, thanks snoop.... there inlies my problem, I can't practice worth crap, because I got my GS-R the friggin' DAY it snowed here, and I'm being (trying to anyways) the responsible type since there's lack of traction on the roads and not really pushing my luck....

An additional question... is rev points while driving in all gears... I shift @ 3 when I'm driving normal.... but like.... with that style, i'm going 45-50 when I hit 5th gear....

What kinda rotations are you guys turning at your shift points? I've asked this before, and people say "just before redline, it's a honda engine, it can take it" but I just plain don't want to be doing that to a car I have to rely on, y'know what I'm sayin?

PS.
What do you mean by feather? Like, ease into it and then let out?
Old 02-15-2005, 09:15 PM
Snoopy
been there done that

well your situation sucks. i fortunately do not have to deal with snow. cali peep here. wait it out i guess. :dunno:

if you're driving "enthusiastically" :rick: i'd assume you're at WOT most of the time. gsr's make their power in the upper rpm range. you want to shift just before redline. dont drive with your foot down everywhere you go and you should have no problems. a couple trips into the red every now and then isnt something to worry about.

what i mean by 'feathering' is ease it out and you want to balance, along with the gas, so that you minimize wheelspin. its hard to explain. i dont know how else to put it. h: :thinking:
Old 02-15-2005, 09:16 PM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

Originally Posted by Ninj4r
hah, thanks snoop.... there inlies my problem, I can't practice worth crap, because I got my GS-R the friggin' DAY it snowed here, and I'm being (trying to anyways) the responsible type since there's lack of traction on the roads and not really pushing my luck....

An additional question... is rev points while driving in all gears... I shift @ 3 when I'm driving normal.... but like.... with that style, i'm going 45-50 when I hit 5th gear....

What kinda rotations are you guys turning at your shift points? I've asked this before, and people say "just before redline, it's a honda engine, it can take it" but I just plain don't want to be doing that to a car I have to rely on, y'know what I'm sayin?

PS.
What do you mean by feather? Like, ease into it and then let out?
The peak HP is around redline and the peak torque is about 6800, so if you shift at redline, the next gear will be started in your peak torque range.

Feather is just being smooth, gentle and precise with the clutch. Rapid, jerky movements would not be feathering. It takes a sort of finesse...
Old 02-15-2005, 09:30 PM
Ninj4r
Acura Nubbins

A-ha! Thanks for clearing that up.... keep in mind i'm a complete nubbin' tho homie, what's WOT mean, snoop?

Thanks for all the help, as usual guys! :kiss:

P.s.
I feel like a glutton by posting so damn much, even though it's totally in a responsive nature.... if any of you knowledgables have AIM... my screen name is GheistSR
Old 02-15-2005, 09:38 PM
Snoopy
been there done that

WOT = Wide Open Throttle = step on the gas till it wont go no mo
Old 02-15-2005, 09:49 PM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

Originally Posted by Ninj4r
P.s. I feel like a glutton by posting so damn much, even though it's totally in a responsive nature.... if any of you knowledgables have AIM... my screen name is GheistSR
Don't worry about it. You are learning and have valid questions, so knock yourself out. That is what this forum is about.