Notices

Steering column noise

Old 11-28-2004, 06:49 PM
M Type X
Midwest Acurati

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering column noise

My 2001 Integra LS automatic coupe developed something of a noise a few weeks ago. This was prior to me adding new tires and the weather turning cold here in Akron. I back out of my garage in the morning (cold start) and then turn the wheel to go down the drive.
I usually start music up when I first get into the car, but one day I did not, and I noticed this: when I turn the wheel after backing out, the steering screeches a bit. Like rubber-on-rubber or something. I don't feel anything physically and it doesn't do it except when turning the wheels when the car is not moving.

Any clue as to what the noise is and what, if anything, I need to do about it? Thanks! I don't know if it's an issue or not, or if I should just relax.

Acura's warranty is 50K miles and I'm about 1100 miles away from that. Haven't had anything other than a minor emissions computer problem since I bought the car new. It's been excellent.
Old 11-28-2004, 07:03 PM
LT
The deer had to die!

did you check the power steering level?
Old 11-28-2004, 08:13 PM
tonto0808

i have the exact same noise in my 96 ls and no matter what i do nobody can fix it. i have had into the dealer 3 times for the noise i have had all the gaskets and so on replaced and lubed in the steering column. it worked for like a day and then was back. the dealer said short of dropping the entire steering column they can do no more, and that is serious money in labor hrs. they said everything is mechanically fine and it seems to be. i have been driving with the noise for around 15,000 miles. all is ok, just annoying
Old 11-29-2004, 10:03 AM
DVPGSR
I need sleep...

I noticed this the first winter I had my GSR and brought it into the dealership 4 times. The noise only happens when it is cold and I have been driving for approx 80,000 miles with no problems...and that includes removing the power steering.
Old 11-29-2004, 05:32 PM
M Type X
Midwest Acurati

Thanks to you guys. I thought perhaps this wasn't unusual and something I should know that is out there.

Well, I'll have them check fluid levels, pumps, and so on. The car is nearing, as I said, the end of the warranty and they can look at it and see if it's normal and if anything else is out of line I should know about. It's not a horrible noise but it's worse some times than others and it's not really cute in a quirky way. My moonroof rattles slightly when you go over bumps, but rattles are sexy. Screeches are not.