Notices

Well guys, my Integra failed the smog pre-test today.

Old 11-26-2004, 02:53 PM
ADRONICUS
www.ufc.com

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Well guys, my Integra failed the smog pre-test today.

It failed in the HC category again...
The number were: 15 mph 61 max MEAS: 98
25 mph 45 max MEAS: 63

Today the numbers were: 15 mph 61 max MEAS: 75 (-23 points from prior)
25 mph 45 max MEAS: 61 (-2 points from prior)

They are suggesting I need a new cat. What a convienience that he also does this kind of work, so I don't know...I called the dealership and I spoke w/a technician and he suggested that it was not the cat and it is not likely that a car w/79k miles would have a shotty cat. He wanted to see the numbers and so I drove there and he said that a cat is not going to make that much more of a diffrence, that it has to be something else and that my car is not throwing a code.

What I've done to date:
1. Spark Plugs, cap & rotor, wires, replaced stock airbox and filter, replaced exhaust manifold, fuel filter, timing, valve adjustment, and 2 treatments of fuel additive, one called Lucas and the called Guaranteed to pass.

As you can see there is not much left to do. I went to a muffler shop and he said he could install an OBD2 Cat but that it is not legal for the car, but it would pass and I would get dinged at the ref. station.

I went to another place calle Nue Art Racing and he suggested I remove the resonator and have another cat welded in place behind the stock cat to burn off whatever the 1st one does not. I don't know where to go with this guys. Any ideas? What options sound the best, should I just let Acura figure it out?
Old 11-26-2004, 03:02 PM
aboobybobpleez
Certified Rice-Rocket

Move out of california
Old 11-26-2004, 03:28 PM
MahoneyL80
I want 2 B cool like u!

no doubt florida is so lucky we dont have any of that smog testing b.s.....
Old 11-26-2004, 04:33 PM
sherwood
I missed Sean

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

did you let your car run before taking the test? drive it around ht eblock for at least 15 minutes to get it warmed up and make sure that the a/c heat isnt on when they are testing it.
Old 11-26-2004, 05:27 PM
Acuralover2004

Default I agree

I don't know much, but I do know that it's really important to have the car warmed up before you take the test, I know a Smog Tech down here and its where I get my cars smogged every year, They always say to warm the car up Before getting it Tested. I live in Northern California FYI.
Old 11-27-2004, 07:57 AM
Tobra

change your oil, hotter cat works better. If your car is a '99, it is OBD II
Old 11-27-2004, 06:24 PM
hondatech
Honda tech/eprom hackr

Are the ign. parts stock replacements?? if HC is the only gas that's high it is caused most likely by an incomplete or a noncombustion condition. I would start at the ignition system first. You said you replaced it all already which is good but I doubt they are factory parts. I know wires are in the 50-80 dollars range alone. I wouldn't use anything not factory if you have an HC problem. If they are not factory I would put factory parts on first. I would also do a baseline compression check wet/dry to make sure the engine's not at fault for your problem. You might have a half dead cyl. and not notice it causing the incomplete combustion that's raising the HC's.
If those parts are factory and your compression reading are ok I would make sure the ignition system isn't breaking down under a loaded condition. You could have an ignition coil that's breaking down and not giving producing full power for your plugs under a load. The point is it could be something in the ign. system that's breaking down when it's stressed under a load. I would check the o2 sensor after the ignition to make sure it's switching correctly and not "baising" to one side or the other. You will need a scope to check these things correctly. Maybe you should take it to the Acura dealership and let someone who works on these cars day in and day out diagnose it correctly for you. At least then the technician can test the car in manual mode on the smog machine and see the numbers before and after. It's shitty running back and forth between shops and smog stations trying to get your car fixed. If your car is newer Acura/Honda it has an emissions warrenty that is seperate from the regular warrenty that covers certain emissions related parts. You would have to call with your vin number to get exact details of this.
Anyways, hope you find your problem.
Old 11-27-2004, 11:30 PM
ADRONICUS
www.ufc.com

Originally Posted by hondatech
Are the ign. parts stock replacements?? if HC is the only gas that's high it is caused most likely by an incomplete or a noncombustion condition. I would start at the ignition system first. You said you replaced it all already which is good but I doubt they are factory parts. I know wires are in the 50-80 dollars range alone. I wouldn't use anything not factory if you have an HC problem. If they are not factory I would put factory parts on first. I would also do a baseline compression check wet/dry to make sure the engine's not at fault for your problem. You might have a half dead cyl. and not notice it causing the incomplete combustion that's raising the HC's.
If those parts are factory and your compression reading are ok I would make sure the ignition system isn't breaking down under a loaded condition. You could have an ignition coil that's breaking down and not giving producing full power for your plugs under a load. The point is it could be something in the ign. system that's breaking down when it's stressed under a load. I would check the o2 sensor after the ignition to make sure it's switching correctly and not "baising" to one side or the other. You will need a scope to check these things correctly. Maybe you should take it to the Acura dealership and let someone who works on these cars day in and day out diagnose it correctly for you. At least then the technician can test the car in manual mode on the smog machine and see the numbers before and after. It's shitty running back and forth between shops and smog stations trying to get your car fixed. If your car is newer Acura/Honda it has an emissions warrenty that is seperate from the regular warrenty that covers certain emissions related parts. You would have to call with your vin number to get exact details of this.
Anyways, hope you find your problem.
Everything was replaced w/ OEM Genuine Acura Parts. I'm dropping it off at the dealerhship on tuesday, they have a smog facility at the one I'm gonna leave it at. I've done all "I" can do. The car is not throwing a code, but quite possibly a part could be getting lazy. So we'll see huh?
Old 11-28-2004, 07:55 AM
hondatech
Honda tech/eprom hackr

I'm leaning toward a bad o2 senor. I put my chips there then if you replaced the ign. parts with oem. let us know
Old 11-28-2004, 09:49 AM
RSX-S Aspec

best of luck, cali.....